Legal Counsel Job Careers – Jumia
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Jumia is the leading pan-African e-commerce platform, present in multiple countries across Africa. We are a high-growth, disruptive and technology-led business. If you are a self-starter who is ambitious, commercial, and collaborative – someone who constantly strives for growth and improvement – then Jumia is the business for you.
Job Summary: The Legal Counsel, Uganda, will report to the Associate General Counsel and work directly with the Jumia management team in Uganda.
The Legal Counsel will be the primary legal adviser for the Jumia business in Uganda. They will be required to partner the business in achieving its goals by ensuring that legal and commercials risks are identified and managed effectively through robust contracting and legal risk management, and by delivering clear and practical strategies and solutions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing contracts across all areas of the business (including commercial, technology and payments agreements) to protect the commercial and legal interests of the business and maximise value.
- Advising on and legal managing risk in relation to consumer protection and payments regulations, including assessing the relevant regulatory requirements and managing relationships with external bodies;
- Managing corporate governance and company secretarial work in respect of Jumia legal entity in Uganda;
- Implementing procedures to manage claims and disputes, including pre-action case management, mediation, arbitration and litigation.
- Building and managing relationships with our external law firms.
- Engaging in other aspects of the legal function and other special projects as topics arise.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must be a qualified lawyer with a 5 years or more of post-qualification legal experience, gained at a leading law firm and inhouse at a leading multinational FMCG, fintech or telco.
- Commercial contracts experience in a payments/financial services environment.
- Knowledge of the regulatory environment as it impacts payments, digital services and e-commerce.
- Experience working in a fast-growing and agile inhouse environment.
- Excellent legal drafting skills.
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate knowledge of the law in a manner that is understood and respected by employees.
- Commercial application of legal knowledge.
- Strong planning, organizational and management skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- A good troubleshooter/problem solver who works well under pressure.
- Drive to succeed in a challenging and changing environment.
- Ability to perform with a high level of discretion, professionalism and integrity.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join Jumia in this capacity should apply online at the link below.
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY COMPANY
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY ROLE