Manager, Planning and Investments Job Placement – Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA)
Organization: Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director Technical Regulation
The Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA) is a statutory body established in 2000 in accordance with the Electricity Act 1999 to regulate the generation, distribution, transmission, sale, export, import of electrical energy in Uganda and to guide liberalization of the electricity industry, manage licensing, rates, safety and other matters concerning the industry.
Job Summary: The Manager, Planning and Investments will determine and ensure implementation of the short and long term investments in the Distribution and Transmission Networks to meet the needs of the Electricity Supply Industry(ESI) of Uganda and ensure proper interconnection within the region.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the activities of the System Planning and Coordination Committee.
- Prepare Power System Computer Models, perform Power System Simulations and advise Management on the Power System requirements, from Generation, Transmission to Distribution (for both on-grid and off- grid).
- Determine and monitor the Loss Trajectories and the associated investments for Transmission and Distribution Licensees.
- Lead the Technical Review of Investment Plan Applications for the Transmission and Distribution Networks, to ensure a harmonized power system network rollout in order to provide a robust grid infrastructure, to cope with the national demand requirements and regional obligations.
- Provide technical review on the Tariff Application for Distribution and Transmission, in respect to the investment requirements.
- Monitor the implementation of ongoing projects by the Distribution utilities and the Transmission Company.
- Undertake the technical verification of completed grid investments by licensees, to confirm compliance with standards, quality of works and to ensure value for money.
- Maintain a database on implemented projects/investments in the Distribution and Transmission in the Sector.
- Carry out research and make comparative analyses of technologies deployed on the network by licensees, to provide assurance to Management on appropriateness of implemented solution in light of technical capability and cost.
- Determine the network status on a quarterly basis and advise Management on the necessary investments to cope with Quality of Supply and Quality of Service needs in line with the ERA regulations from an investment viewpoint.
- Carry out risk assessment associated with investments from a technical viewpoint and develop appropriate mitigation.
- Participate in Sector activities and Working Groups, as well as Technical Committee on standards development.
- Develop Benchmarks for distribution construction costs.
- Review and revise technical rules, policies and guidelines for network investment and planning.
- Supervise, appraise, mentor, develop and train staff in the Planning and Investment Unit.
- Perform any other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Supervisor or Management.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The incumbent for the Manager, Planning and Investments job must hold a Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- An Honors Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- A Registered Engineer with the Engineers Registration Board.
- At least five years of relevant working experience in a Technical/ Engineering environment of an Electricity Generation, Transmission, Distribution and Sales Utility or comparable organization at a Senior Management level.
- Conversant with the Electricity Supply Industry in Uganda.
- Should be computer literate especially in the use of specialized Engineering Computer Software.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Should have good inter personal skills and good report writing skills.
- Should have strong analytical skills.
- Should be a team player.
- Should be 30 years and above.
- Possession of a Post Graduate training in Project Planning & Management is an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are required to express their interest by sending their application letters and enclosed copies of:
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae (indicating daytime telephone number (s) and email address and daytime telephone numbers and email addresses of three Referees).
- Relevant transcripts and certificates
The Chief Executive Officer,
Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA),
Plot 15 Shimoni Road,
- O. BOX 10332, Kampala – Uganda
Deadline: 28th June 2019 by 5:00pm