Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer Job Careers – Resource Rights Africa (RRA)
Organization: Resource Rights Africa (RRA)
Duty Station: Uganda
Resource Rights Africa (RRA is a research and advocacy organization formed in 2016 to advocate for social justice of marginalized communities and protection of people’s rights in Uganda.
Job Summary: We are looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic person to join our team at Resource Rights Africa to provide leadership to develop and implement M&E systems focused on data collection, analysis and reporting to ensure synergy between the project strands, allowing impacts to be easily captured and communicated. This is a senior level position within RRA, and the post holder will provide leadership at RRA to understand and improve existing programmes through monitoring and evaluation, allowing impacts to be easily communicated primarily related to the ‘Community action to promote good governance of mineral resources in Karamoja sub-region in Uganda’ project, while at the same time playing a strategic role across the organization. S/he will report to the Executive Director and work closely with other colleagues focused on the project. The post holder must have a sound knowledge of monitoring and evaluation; and be able to demonstrate a track record of taking initiative to strategically drive a portfolio of projects efficiently and with maximal impact, ensuring strategic coordination of log-frame implementation and capturing lessons throughout. S/he must be confident and proactive in conducting monitoring and evaluation and impact measurement of the program activities both at organization level and at field level, and able to build effective external and internal relationships and partnerships to this end. S/he must also be proficient in all areas of project management including program cycle management and development and reporting to project stakeholders and donors.
S/he shall be adaptable, creative and innovative, tailoring his/her approach to the specific characteristics of each opportunity. The candidate should be knowledgeable about extractives; possess excellent writing skills, pay attention to detail and have a flair for grasping key ideas and actions through a combination of desk research and consultation with colleagues and partners. S/he shall also have worked in the field, thus drawing on personal implementation and monitoring and evaluation experiences in designing and implementing new projects.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Lead in monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of RRA’s project, using programme log-frame for clear understanding of impacts.
- Oversee effective monitoring and evaluation of the project including appropriate capture of baselines;
- Lead implementation and strategic development of all aspects of RRA’s natural resource governance work, ensuring maximal impacts of mineral resources in Karamoja;
- Provide clear and relevant communications on project activities and progress within RRA and with donors;
- Analyze and oversee research and advocacy on emerging natural resource governance issues in Uganda especially as these relate to the potential for conflict
- Augment impact of these initiatives through developing complementary outreach activities, including ensuring press coverage, published outputs concerning different topics and events, and increasing the programme’s on-going policy advocacy work with government and the private sector;
- Coordinate and support the monitoring and evaluation of RRA’s projects and programmes in line with appropriate log frames;
- Coordinate the collection of data with project team members as needed to track and communicate impacts;
- Develop, implement systems to easily monitor, evaluate and determine impacts of programmes;
- Monitor quality of projects from inception phases to close-out including providing guidance to programme strands as necessary;
- Through collaboration and training, build knowledge and skills of RRA staff and partners on the logical framework, data management, data analysis and result-oriented programming, monitoring and evaluation methods and principles and report writing techniques and requirements for relevant donors to ensure compliance;
- Provide technical expertise on M&E systems and regular backstopping to RRA staff and project partners;
- Manage, coordinate and participate in internal evaluations as needed;
- Develop program and operational reporting templates that facilitate the acquisition and aggregation of information in the programs.
- Organize and coordinate lessons learnt workshops/review of program work plans within RRA and with partners for internal and external sharing;
- Develop and maintain effective information database on projects, providing resource and necessary support for program inputs and outputs;
- Track programmatic reporting needs to funders to ensure quality and on-time reporting.
- Ensure the timely development and submission of program narrative reports.
As a member of RRA, contribute to RRA’s systems, best practice and learning in programme development and impact assessment organizationally.
- Be responsive to the requests of the Project Manager, and play a proactive role as a member of the project, including participation and input to regular meetings;
- Work jointly on cross-organizational M&E initiatives including development of evaluation and other guidelines, centralization of M&E and knowledge management systems;
- Share best practices in M&E from RRA’s project with other partners in the sector;
- Be responsible for inventory management of the project intervention documents and provide support to project staff including Community Volunteers for the preparation of high quality narrative reports and clear articulation of intervention results, help tailor them to agreed project objectives under each project strand;
- Coordinate the monitoring of the project log-frame to ensure that the agreed project indicators are tracked and reported upon according to agreed donor requirements;
- Provide data from proposals and concept papers, for the purposes of maintaining the organizational funding pipeline;
- Contribute to project design processes for other RRA programmes, or for cross-organizational projects as agreed.
Contribute to RRA’s M&E system growth and consolidation; and wider organizational goals and objectives
- Support internal initiatives to improve M&E, knowledge management and staff capacity;
- Contribute to RRA’s success and impact by participating in learning and the development of ideas, policies, on diverse topics and issues, as opportunities arise;
- Coordinate the implementation of baseline surveys, follow-on monitoring and evaluation exercises for various initiatives at RRA;
- Undertake research, baselines for different project interventions to establish baseline data for project evaluations in future;
- Manage the project relationships with stakeholders and partners that will enhance programme delivery and effective feedback mechanism.
- Develop the Monitoring and Evaluation Plan.
- Ensure the implementation of the Monitoring and Evaluation Plan and follow up on the monitoring tools to actualize the plan.
- Provide technical support for the development of a comprehensive reporting framework and support staff to implement it.
- Put in place data management systems and mechanisms for data collection analysis to help monitor the development of key performance indicators according to the agreed upon monitoring framework;
- Review, monitor and analyse reports and assess all project outputs against project targets and activities to ascertain impact of RRA’s interventions. Highlight gaps and changes accruing from the different activities.
- Provide information and statistics for quarterly, bi-annual, annual, donor proposals and other reports.
- Support the documentation of lessons learnt and good practices and facilitate sharing across the organization and with partners in the country.
- Support staff in the promotion of internal mechanisms of enhancing knowledge generation and cross-learning
- Contribute to research initiatives and on the utilization of research findings to inform organizational programmes at all levels and promote the utilization of the knowledge generated.
- Take lead in the development of the annual report.
- Oversee and coordinate program evaluations by; developing ToRs, mapping relevant documents/data sources (primary and secondary) that can be reviewed and harnessed for programme analysis and learning purposes, among other things.
- Provide support for external evaluation and disseminate evaluation reports.
- Performance Planning and Review
- Support the development of the organizational annual and bi-annual performance reports, annual work plan and quarterly plans to operationalize the annual work plan;
- Coordinate periodical reviews, planning workshops and assist staff in preparing relevant program reports.
- Proposal development and resource mobilization:
- Support in the generation of ideas during the development of concept notes and proposals to fundraise for the organization.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Higher level degree in a field with relevance to the program: e.g. statistics, social or political science, conflict studies, development studies, sociology, anthropology. Qualifications related to data collection and analysis are an added advantage.
- At least three (3) years of work experience in Monitoring and Evaluation, preferably in a Non-Governmental Organization.
- Experience in designing, planning and implementing M&E systems
- Possess relevant field experience and knowledge in development, monitoring and evaluation of community based projects
- Strong writing and organization skills for reporting on M&E and program results
- Facilitation / Training skills
- Previous experience in designing M&E methodologies and tools and the ability to coach and train others in their use.
- Demonstrable analytical skills and critical thinking to evaluate best practices, challenges and solutions to improve program monitoring and execution.
- Computer literacy with working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel) for technical purposes.
- Coding, documentation, data capture and data base management and knowledge of statistical packages like SPSS are an added advantage
- Articulate and confident communicator
- Problem solving attitude
- Respectful approach to human interactions
- Sense of humour
- Team Player
- Meeting deadlines
- Time keeping
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and submit their cover letters, a detailed curriculum vitae and copies of relevant academic documents to: [email protected]
NB: Please ensure that your attachments do not exceed 5 MB. We do appreciate your interest to work with RRA. However, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 15th January 2020