Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) Manager for Uganda Job Opportunity – Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Organisation: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Duty Station: Kampala, in Uganda (with frequent visits to field sites in both Uganda).
Reporting to: Head of Mission (line supervisor)
Receives technical advice from: M&E HQ referent, HQ and Regional Technical Advisors, Gives technical advice to: Partner MEAL and project team
Standing in for: Programs Manager /Uganda.
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. is a German Christian non-governmental organization, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting mostly health projects
Job Summary: The MEAL Manager will work as part of Johanniter Uganda’s regional team reporting to the Head of Mission who will be the overall supervisor. Based in Kampala, the incumbent will lead the design of tailored tools and implement the projects monitoring, evaluation and learning plans for Johanniter projects that mainly cover; Nutrition, Health, WASH and Livelihoods/food security sectors. The MEAL Manager will work closely with the Programs Managers, project Partner ‘s M&E staff in designing and implementing M&E plans for their specific projects.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Accountability and Monitoring Systems Development
- Overall responsible for the implementation of the Johanniter Monitoring and Evaluation
- plans in Uganda.
- Lead in contributing to proposal development and programme design, indicators definitions,
- theory of change development and log frame design for projects in Uganda.
- Develop or update MEAL tools, databases and reporting formats in close collaboration with
- the project /partner teams and program managers.
- Develop a real-time data management and Key Progress Indicator (KPI) systems for the running projects to inform rapid decision making.
- Produce monitoring and accountability checklists and conduct quarterly joint field process monitoring.
- Support Johanniter and the partner staff in field data collection and analysis including using advanced mobile data collection and analysis systems.
- Conduct periodic data audits and analysis to ensure high quality data.
- Should provide beneficiary counts; i.e. a monthly, quarterly and annual gender & age
- disaggregated overview per grant per partner.
- Contribute to the rollout of Johanniter’s global strategic initiatives related to measurement & accountability, and enable reporting against Johanniter’s global standards and requirements.
- Monitor overall project implementation of Johanniter’s partners and provide feedback for their field office staff.
Assessment, Learning and Documentation
- Leads the project team in all other aspects of MEAL, for example surveys, baselines, evaluations, joint projects monitoring and reviews / lessons learning workshops/events.
- Ensure relevant, timely, and quality projects support to the partners on assessments & evaluations; i.e. support in developing the survey tools, data analysis and report writing.
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings with Johanniter’s and Partners’ projects teams on project monitoring and learning i.e. updates on projects progress on achievements & challenges for actions and reactions.
- Contribute to organizational learning documentation and dissemination of key findings stemming from monitoring, assessment, and other analyses of project learning activities.
- Track and ensure organized, comprehensive electronic filing of documented findings/analyses.
- Collect and file success stories, case studies, pictures, legal documents etc. and file them accordingly.
- Facilitate and participate in information sharing among Johanniter staff, partners & donors.
- Responsible for taking relevant meeting minutes by and with Johanniter staff, partners and donor and share/file them accordingly.
- Compile periodic reports with relevant indicator data per grant, showing targets versus actuals and action plans and share with the projects teams/managers.
- Advise Johanniter and partner staff on data management and storage
- Facilitate capacity building for Johanniter and partner staff on skills/knowledge related to Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning, including; designing monitoring tools, analyzing /monitoring data, conducting assessment/evaluation, implementing feedback mechanisms.
- Participate in the assessments of new Johanniter partner in Uganda
- Undertake regular visits to field locations to support monitoring and evaluation processes and contribute to the development and roll out of accountability processes. i.e. provide training, mentorship, technical assistance, while ensuring that accountability and learning tools and strategies are understood and being implemented effectively.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Development or Social studies, Economics, Statistics, or related field from an accredited academic institution, a masters in same will be preferred.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in Humanitarian or development organizations and working through partners.
- Practical experience working experience in project geographies in Uganda.
- Practical experience in conducting data collection exercises (Qualitative and Quantitative) i.e. Possess knowledge and skill in research methodology and use of digital data collection tools.
- Proficiency in Microsoft suite Excel, SPSS, STATA, KOBO, ODK, NVIVO or any other analytical software
- Demonstrated experience and skills in project reporting, knowledge management & learning process.
- Knowledge of humanitarian standards and codes, including SPHERE is preferred.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching, with Fluency in ENGLISH and other local languages;
- Good analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills required, with the ability to work with other
- Willingness to travel throughout project sites in Uganda with up to 50% of the time in field sites.
- Ability to meet deadlines/ performing duties on time.
- Ability to work under pressure, making decisions in urgent situations with high problem solving skills.
How to Apply:
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former
supervisors as well as job certificates if available) should be sent to
Please indicate “Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) Manager” in the subject line of
your e-mail and in the application mention your earliest date of availability.
Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Deadline: Friday 31st December 2021
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda