Natural Resource Management Specialist Job Careers – CARE International
Organisation: CARE International
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: The Initiative Manager, Evergreening Project
CARE is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. We are known everywhere for our unshakeable commitment to the dignity of people. CARE works around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice. We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live with dignity and security. We put women and girls in the centre because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. CARE has been working in Uganda for 50 years and in 2019/2020, we improved the lives of 2.6 million people (60% women). Our goal for the next five years is to reach ten million people, through our gender transformative, resilience building, and lifesaving programs
About The Evergreening Project:
CARE International in Uganda with funding from G9 Ark Foundation is implementing a 5-year project in Northern Uganda. The project will be implemented in partnership with CRS, World Vision and other implementing agencies. The project aims to reverse global warming by restoring 302,656 hectares of ecosystems that have been destroyed by mankind since the
beginning of the industrial revolution in Agago, Gulu, Kitgum, Omoro & Pader districts (in Acholi Sub region) and Kole, Otuke & Oyam districts (in Lango Sub region).
Job Summary: The Natural Resource Management Specialist will provide technical support to all CARE partners, CSOs and the consortium to ensure improved management of Natural Resources land contributing to reduction in emissions, promote ever greening & agroforestry practices for climate risk reduction and coordinate other ecosystem based risk reduction processes. The project components are under the Women Empowerment and Natural Resources Governance (WENG) department. The position will be based CARE Gulu office working in 5 districts in Acholi region and 3 districts in Lango region.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide Technical support related to Natural Resources Management (NRM) to Ark 2030 80%.
- Oversee and guide GEA Evergreening Initiative Implementing partner(s) and staff to identify and clarify Climate Change Adaptation tools and approaches, Natural Resources Governance approaches, Ecosystems Management actions and ECO –Entrepreneurship entry points.
- Guide partners and staff on appropriate spaces for engagement, national and international Programmes of action related to Natural Resources that support project learning and visibility.
- Disseminate viable models and tools appropriate for project implementation based upon learning from the CARE Resilience framework, Adaptation, Learning and Practice, the National Climate Smart Agriculture Programme and Other Government programmes. Provide technical oversight, conceptual guidance to strengthen Natural Resources Governance and inclusive governance by Learning from CLAR and CARE Climate platform.
- Conduct an assessment of the current community livelihood approaches and identify the main strengths and weaknesses and develop a capacity development plan
- Provide overall technical guidance in ecologically friendly and climate-smart entrepreneurship, private sector engagement, innovations, market information and viable linkages, economic empowerment strategies and resilience building
- Lead in identifying private sector partners that can provide a market opportunity for the selected community groups.
- Develop and maintain relevant manuals, training materials and reports relevant to NRM, entrepreneurship and livelihoods improvement.
- Monitor uptake of enterprise development and innovations by recording information of women activities
- Engage in regular monitoring visits, coaching, mentoring of project participants to evaluate resilience and livelihoods improvement effectiveness.
- Work with GEA partners to mobilize VSLA groups, forest, wetland and interest groups with representation of up to 70% women and youth to undertake economic development activities.
- Undertake capacity building for GEA partners staff and partners in NRM and entrepreneurship
- Strengthen capacity of community groups in livelihood models such VSLA and enterprise selection, different eco enterprises
- Develop work plans, budgets and partner capacity improvement schedule as well as for monitoring in order to provide technical backstopping and ensure agreed standard and requirements are implemented.
- Facilitate market assessment, value chain analysis and linkages of the target groups to markets, networks and information
- Support communities, with specific focus on women and youth living in hotspot areas (forests and wetlands) to map, identify and select viable eco-based livelihood options
- Facilitate adoption of best practice/approaches/models in the course of the implementation of the project.
Facilitate Learning, build synergies and strategic alliances for project delivery 15%
- Collaborate with relevant government agencies to implement economic empowerment interventions within the defined strategies of resilient livelihoods, CSA and Women Economic Empowerment.
- Facilitate periodic Learning across GEA Evergreening Initiative partners and the private sector for sound engagement with the government at various levels.
- Lead the documentation of best practices, viable models in private sector engagement, innovations and natural resource management, economic empowerment, land, and forest restoration.
- Support fundraising initiatives under WENG program.
- Train project partners and staff on NRG tools and approaches and mentor stakeholders
- Represent CARE on steering committees, working groups and task forces when nominated.
- Maintain regular contact and dialogue with the projects’ strategic partner organizations, key ministries through maturing regular contact, information sharing and collaboration with other key stakeholders working within the sector; both at national, and regional levels.
Provide support to CARE sub office and Country Office on any other delegated duties 5%
- Resource Mobilization
- Capacity building of CARE staff in Natural Resources
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a post graduate qualification or its equivalent in Natural Resources Management, Forestry, Agriculture Land Use and Management, Agricultural, Natural Resources Economics, or another relevant discipline from an accredited university.
- At least 5 years of experience in long term development with a focus on Natural Resources Management, Agroforestry, Climate Smart Agriculture(CSA), Ecosystem based risk reduction
- Practical knowledge and skills in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software like ArcGIS or QGIS in Natural Resources Management
- Knowledgeable on Private Sector Engagement, business development skills, enterprise election, planning and management.
- Have ability to work independently and effectively within tight deadlines
- Experience designing and implementing capacity development initiatives
- Excellent facilitation, communications and team work skills, coaching and mentoring and partnership nurturing skills
How to Apply:
All Interested and suitable candidates should submit their applications and CVs including the names, daytime telephone contacts and email addresses of three work related referees to
Please indicate job title in your email subject line.
Please Note that CARE does not ask any applicant payment for any recruitment process.
Deadline: 31st May 2020