Outreach Communications Specialist Non-profit Jobs – Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Job Title: Outreach Communications Specialist
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is an international non-profit organization which is a partnership of infectious diseases and public health specialists. The overall objective of the IDI is to strengthen health systems with strong emphasis on Infectious Diseases, through Research and Capacity Development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University – John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
Job Summary: The Outreach Communications Specialist will support the KCCA and BHP/West Nile projects through the provision of high qualitycommunications content for IDI’s work. This will include designing and supporting the development of communications materials for programme beneficiaries, donors, and other internal and external audiences. The incumbent may also be called upon to support project reporting, to include collating information from project teams. The Communications Specialist will contribute to shaping corporate communication strategies by working closely with communication focal points on various teams to integrate the different components of IDI.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, maintain and update the outreach department communications strategy and work plan
- Work in liaison with partner communication officers to ensure coordination of all activities
- Actively engage the media to highlight IDI’s work in partner districts
- Develop press releases, and media briefing kits
- Develop and maintain a partners and stakeholder contact list/database
- Actively vontribute to the development of project communication materials such as one pagers,
- Using the success story tracker, develop success stories and case studies
- Travel to the field and interview beneficiaries, and other key stakeholders
- Represent IDI/Project at stakeholder meetings
- Support the development of video documentaries to highlight outreach department projects
- Share project high level activities with the corporate communications lead
Key Result Areas:
- Communications strategy: Formulate a clear communications strategy that ensures our beneficiaries are aware of project impact, challenges and lessons learned so as to increase support for project/funder response and, contribute to fundraising opportunities.
- Global Campaigns: support the successful implementation of global/funder communication priorities by designing and implementing campaigns and sharing updates.
- Stakeholder Database: develop, manage and maintain stakeholder contact lists for active participation in IDI events Media relations: In support of corporate communications, maintain an up to date list of medical journalists and media outlets encompassing print, radio and television.
- Video production: Create video footage that highlights project interventions at the community level
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Mass communication or related field. Post Graduate training in Media or other relevant field is an added advantage.
- At least three years’ experience in a similar position in a reputable development organization.
- Prior exposure and experience working with local partners and District Local Government in Health systems strengthening, HIV/AIDS is an added advantage.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Excellent analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Familiarity with the media landscape in Uganda
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested persons may apply through e-mail or hand-deliver their application letter with a detailed CV, naming at least two referees, to:
The Manager, Human Resources,
Infectious Diseases Institute,
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala.
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 21st July 2017