Program Officer Job Careers – Crown Agents
Job Title: Program Officer
Organisation: Crown Agents
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Accelerating the Sustainable Control and Elimination of NTDs (ASCEND) is a £200 million investment from the UK government’s Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), to advance the impact and sustainability of national programmes tackling neglected tropical diseases (NTDs). To be implemented between September 2019 to March 2022, ASCEND comprises two lots – one focusing on South Asia, East and Southern Africa (lot 1) and the other on West and Central Africa (lot 2). ASCEND lot 1 is implemented by a consortium of technical partners led by Crown Agents, including Abt Associates, Oriole Global Health and the Royal Tropical Institute. Central to ASCEND 1’s approach is a close collaboration with National Governments and other implementing partners, to enhance national approaches to NTD control and elimination. ASCEND’s goal is to contribute to the global goal of reducing the burden of targeted NTDs so that they are no longer a public health problem.
Job Summary: The Program Officer’s primary function is to provide programmatic support to NTD Control Program, ASCEND and Partners, subgrantees and district local governments during planning, implementation, and monitoring of NTD Control Program under ASCEND support. The NTD Program Officer will work closely with the MoH National NTD Coordinator, Disease-specific Programme Managers for LF, trachoma, and schistosomiasis and ASCEND Country Lead (CL), Finance Officer, Data Manager and M&E Officer to support effective implementation of planned NTD control activities like Schistosomiasis precision mapping and MDA, TT surgeries and LF MMDP all implemented by MOH with financial support from ASCEND.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Program Planning/ budgeting/field activity supervision, reporting of deliverables, and attending relevant meetings related to the job.
- Under the direction of the National NTD Coordinator and ASCEND Country Lead, the Program Officer will build the capacity of relevant personnel of MOH, Districts, Health Facility Staff and selected community volunteers, supervise and monitor implementation of ASCEND supported NTD activities and will:
- Participate in the development of annual work plan and budget for ASCEND support to MOH and participate in monthly reviews and updates to the developed work plan.
- Assist the National NTD Coordinator and ASCEND CL in supervising and monitoring the implementation of ASCEND supported activities following the work plan,
- Lead person in updating costed activity forecast relevant to ASCEND supported work on schistosomiasis, LF MMDP and trachoma TT surgeries,
- Reporting on progress measured against expected results noted in the NTD/ASCEND annual work plan.
- Contribute to technical activities development based on the program’s strategic directions, primarily focusing on sub-grantees and district local governments.
- Be the lead person in program and activity planning and implementation of interventions for the three diseases (Schistosomiasis, Trachoma and LF MMDP).
- Work with the M&E Officer to develop, regularly review and report on the ASCEND Uganda M&E plan
- Coordinate with District Health Offices in ASCEND supported districts to ensure timely implementation of planned activities.
- Work with the Data Manager to ensure the correct availability of data in the relevant areas
- Ensure that the expected work plan deliverables are uploaded, reviewed and are timely approved
- Provide written reports of program activities at the National NTD Coordinator, Program Managers, and ASCEND Country Lead direction.
- Contribute to the annual and semi-annual reports, at the direction of the National NTD Coordinator, Program Managers and ASCEND Country Lead.
- Assist in preparing program briefs at the direction of the National NTD Coordinator, Program Managers and ASCEND Country Lead.
Management and Administrative Tasks
- Assist the National NTD Coordinator, Program Managers and Finance Officer with budgeting for field programmatic activities.
- Capacity building to relevant program staff in developing and operationalising a field support plan
- Maintain a copy of project files and an activity calendar on ASCEND field activities on technical deliverables
- Maintain and supervise and monitor completion of field activities as planned.
- Provide information to National NTD coordinator, relevant program managers and ASCEND CL on financial forecasts for field activities
- Prepare a list of supplies and equipment required for field activities with guidance from National NTD Coordinator, Program Managers and ASCEND Country Lead
- Work closely with the Procurement and Logistics Specialist to ensure procurement is timely effected,
- Identify training requirements-both fresh and refresher to improve implementation quality,
- Provide technical support in reviewing and designing NTD training manuals;
- Help maintain a database of trainers and other resource persons for NTDs.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Degree in public health or Bachelor’s degree or Medicine and at least 6 years of experience managing similar or related programs in a reputable organisation/ institution. A masters degree, Diploma in Medical Entomology and Parasitology or in any other relevant paramedical course, will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of an international community-based program(s) in developing country settings.
- Demonstrated experience in managing M&E activities.
- Experience working in hard-to-reach communities with marginalised and disadvantaged groups.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience in Microsoft Office, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Candidate with working experience with FCDO or USAID funded program Projects will be at an advantage.
Note: This position is a Nationals only position.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send a covering letter and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 26th February, 2021
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda