Project Partnership and Finance Officer (IKEA) NGO Jobs – International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Partnership Coordinator
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting nationals and refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community-based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, peace building, gender-based violence, economic recovery and agribusiness, and children & youth. IRC has a country office in Kampala, and field offices in Moroto, Kyaka II, Yumbe, Imvepi and Kiryandongo
About IKEA Foundation Project:
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) in partnership with the IKEA Foundation is currently implementing a five year (2021–2025) urban refugee livelihoods program in Kampala, Uganda and Nairobi, Kenya. The objective of the program – Refugees in East Africa: Boosting Urban Innovations for Livelihoods Development (Re: Build) – is to support urban refugees and other vulnerable residents in Kampala and Nairobi to achieve economic self-reliance and benefit from strengthened urban economic, regulatory, and social environments. The Re: Build program approach prioritizes local ownership, and as such, seeks to build a network of local partners. Specifically, the IRC would like to hire the Project partnership and Finance Officer who will support the local partners
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Partnership Coordinator, the Project Partnership and Finance Officer is responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day partner’s accounting operations and financial management functions are performed in accordance with IRC’s policies and procedures Partnership Excellence for Equality and Results Systems (PEERS), and in accordance with the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Always acting in accordance with the country law and standards of accounting practices
- Contribute to the overall objective of the partnership and finance departments of providing quality support service to all sectors.
- Manage all aspects of day-to-day operations of the finance and partnership department.
- Check compliance to implementation of finance policies, procedures, and systems within the partnership policy documents. Review sampled partner payment vouchers, ensuring completeness of the documentation and consistency with the partner policies and procedures.
- Validate partner captured accounting entries in SUN Account, ensuring accuracy and completeness of the process.
- Complete end-of-month tasks in a timely manner and ensure partner report expenses are accurately captured.
- Consolidate monthly and quarterly partner cash projections and submit the same to the Deputy Finance controller in a timely manner for planning.
- Assist the Partnership coordinator and Field coordinator in the preparation of finance related reports for use in decision making at both field and head office levels in relation to partners.
- Carry out monthly reconciliation of partner advances and charges related to partner accounts (T7) and advise the Partnership Coordinator on the course taken to settle outstanding balances.
- Participate as gatekeeper in ensuring that all transactions are in accordance with IRC financial policies and grant agreements.
- Provide support to both external and internal audit processes that are undertaken at the field office.
- Work hand in hand with the Deputy Finance controller to prepare and update the partners operating budget.
- Participate in partnership project opening, review and closure meetings, including to review successes, challenges, and lessons learned with the partner, and capture effective finance practices for future partnerships.
- Participate in the Partner’s Project Capacity Review (PPCR) of potential partners as appropriate and contribute to efforts to collaboratively analyze and manage material risks identified.
- Conduct monitoring visits to sub grantees as per partners’ project review capacity review results.
- Review reports submitted by sub grantees confirming accuracy and compliance to the terms of the agreement and submit the same to the Deputy Finance Controller for next course of action.
Program Support & Capacity Sharing
- Provide finance and accounting training and mentoring support to partners, in accordance with partner project support plans, with a focus on supporting the partner to strengthen financial management systems and capacities that are responsive to the needs of the partner (rather than replicating IRC’s systems and policies).
- Provide training to IRC program staff on finance/partnership matters.
- Take lead in reviewing all new and revised partner budgets and spending plans with program and other operations staff.
- Review partner quarterly Budget vs Actual (BvA) and advice partners through the Partnership Coordinator on any key issues identified.
- Provide insight of projected Budget vs Actual report based on partner spending plan projections.
Cash/Bank – Processing:
- Support the Deputy Finance Controller in processing Partner Cash Transfer (CTR) documentation.
- Review partner payment vouchers to ensure completeness and accuracy of documentation.
- Support the process of preparation of the partner transfer reconciliation worksheets.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) Project Partnership and Finance Officer (IKEA) job placement must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Commerce or Finance, and/or relevant full qualifications in a recognized Accounting professional body.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in accounting preferably in an International NGO with at least a minimum of 1 year hands on experience working with SUN and NAVISION.
- Excellent problem solving, decision making, supervisory, and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and have good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal direct supervision.
How to Apply:
All applicants who wish to join the International Rescue Committee (IRC) should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 27th June 2021.
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda