Public Health Officer NGO Job Vacancies – Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS)
Organization: Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS)
Duty Station: Uganda
Grade: UR 5
Reports to: Director Health Services
Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading National Humanitarian Organization in Uganda and a member of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
Job Summary: The Public Health Officer is responsible for effective and efficient health project implementation, monitoring and reporting accordingly seeking to maximize intervention with sectoral interventions including health, hygiene promotion, interventions psychosocial support, SGBV and nutrition to build sustainable community capacity and strengthen community resilience among refugee and host communities. The public Health Officer works in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to influence the delivery of high quality interventions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide project and technical health support in planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting throughout the project cycle in accordance with NLRC and URCS procedures and agreements as set in the MoU;
- Support training of youth groups in Income Generating Activities (IGAs) as well as coordinate seed funding towards community action group IGA proposals;
- Support organizing and facilitate necessary trainings e.g. Integrated Community Based Health and First Aid (CBHFA); Participatory
- Hygiene and Sanitation transformation (PHAST); Community based surveillance (CBS); Epidemic Control for Volunteers (ECV); Sexual
- Gender Based Violence (SGBV) and Cash transfer programming (CTP) to volunteers and other stakeholders (e.g. VHTs, government officials and relevant partners)
- Support in design and development of assessment tools for CBHFA, Cash Transfer Programing and Early Warning Early Action for Epidemics (e.g. Cholera).
- Through coordination with the WASH officer and CTP National Disaster Response Team (NDRT), support in conducting assessments (KAP surveys, KIIs and FGDs) of Health, WASH, CTP and Protection needs in the project area and execute necessary remedial actions
- Ensure coordination and synergies with other Health, WASH, CASH and Protection sector actor programs through attendance in relevant technical working groups and MoH meetings and/or workshops.
- Ensure close collaboration between URCS and relevant health facilities and/or health stakeholders in coordinating health outreaches, vaccination campaigns, international health day activities etc.
- Coordinate with WASH officer in preparing monthly situational update reports and submit to WASH delegate and technical line managers for information and decision making.
- Support the production of timely narrative and financial reports, according to URCS and NLRC procedures
- Support in implementing and coordinating Community Engagement and Accountability (CEA) activities e.g. setting up of complaints and feedback mechanisms, mobile cinema, community meetings etc.
- Supporting Arua District in developing and/or rolling out contingency plans and SOPs using both OPM/IFRC methodologies and tools.
- Support in Activating and forming Disaster Management Committees (DMCs) at all levels of the district local Government.
- Support in Conducting Simulations, drills and testing district contingency plans.
- Undertake continuous monitoring field visits and meetings with relevant actors including project partners in assessing trends, patterns and changing needs and consequently advise on appropriate strategies;
- Advocate for quality promotive, prevention and response activities/ services and integration of health, hygiene promotion, PSS and inclusion in SGBV programming to promote risk reduction among the targeted communities;
- Support community disease surveillance activities in both targeted refugee and host communities;
- Perform any other duty assigned by the technical and line managers.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold at least Bachelor’s Degree in Health Sciences (e.g. Nursing, Public Health, Health Promotion, Clinical Medicine) Health Systems Management, or Social Sciences BUT with training in Public Health from a reputable institution;
- Postgraduate qualification in Public Health or a related field will be an added advantage.
- At least 3 years’ experience in implementing community based health projects. Experience in supporting Malaria or Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) or Pneumonia programming will be an asset;
- Knowledge and/or Training in Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation (PHAST) and Community Based Health and First Aid (CBHFA) methodologies;
- Prior experience of Cash Transfer Programming and/or contingency planning will be an added advantage;
- Knowledge and/or experience in integrating protection, gender and inclusion, community engagement and accountability into community based health and/or hygiene programming;
- High level of Integrity
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues.
- Positive, respectful attitude and collaborative approach to diversity
- Track record in participation, technical training, facilitation and awareness raising activities
- Demonstrated attention to detail; ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently as well as cooperatively with team members
- Team player, self-motivated and proactive on own initiative to set and achieve goals
- Highly motivated, self-starter able to lead a process, engage others and create ownership.
How to Apply:
All suitable candidates please send your filled application form at the link below
Attach your academic transcripts and certificates. The filled application forms and academic transcripts and certificates can be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or hand delivered, and or by post to:
Please send your filled application form and attach your academic transcripts and certificates. The filled application forms and academic transcripts and certificates can be e-mailed to; email@example.com or hand delivered, and or by post to:
The Secretary General,
Uganda Red Cross Society,
Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road,
P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Due to large volumes of applications; only short listed candidates shall be contacted. Canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification.
Deadline: 6th April 2020 at 5:00 pm