Research Assistant NGO Jobs – International Potato Center (CIP)
Organization: International Potato Center (CIP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Makerere University News Updates for 2019 - 2020
International Potato Center (CIP) is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background, and is a recent World Food Price Winner and awarded with the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
Job Summary: The Research Assistant will be based in Kampala, Uganda and report directly to Regional Food Scientist and indirectly to Regional Potato and Sweetpotato breeders in East Africa. This position will work with RTBfoods teams at NARO (NARL-Kawanda and NaCRRI-Namulonge) and Food and Nutritional Evaluation Laboratory (FANEL) team in Nairobi, Kenya. The research assistant will also assist with Work Package (WP) 1, WP2-WP5 activities in RTBfoods project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct food and nutritional analysis on roots, tubers and banana crop samples;
- Assist in organizing and administering all aspects of sensory descriptive and affective tests for RTB crops and foods applying defined methodologies while insuring a high standard of scientific integrity;
- Assist in leading descriptive panels in execution of product testing, appropriate test set-up and execution, and valid data management;
- Work as part of a team conducting capacity building and research with scientists from NARO, CGIAR centers and RTBfoods partners;
- Conduct research and implement laboratory operations at a logistical level (including help in development of standard operating procedures, managing consumables stocks and procurement, drafting risk assessments and obtaining permits) under the supervision of the Regional Food Scientist and Program Leaders at NARO, and in consultation with other team members;
- Ensure observation of good laboratory practice including drafting risk assessments and surveillance of laboratory users’ activity;
- Operate a subset of the platform’s laboratory equipment, including several of the following: ELISA, fluorometer, UPLC, AAS, UV-VIS, NIR, GCMS, LCMS and Texture analyzer;
- Prepare laboratory chemical reagents and media;
- Carry out routine tasks such as sampling and sample testing, contribute to the development of laboratory protocols within the food and nutritional analysis platform, conduct data analysis and interpretation;
- To assist our partners in the reporting and trending of testing results to the technical team, production and customers as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Food Science and or related subjects or Master’s degree with at most 1-2 years’ experience;
- At least 5 years working experience in a research environment or food industry;
- Field and laboratory equipment managing;
- Data base management;
- Experiment execution in different settings;
- Statistical research analyses;
- Advanced level of MS Office;
- Advanced knowledge of database work;
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills in English. Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to Apply Online at the link below. Submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references.