Roving Civil & WASH Engineer NGO Jobs – LWF World Service
Job Title: Roving Civil & WASH Engineer
Organization: LWF World Service
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: EE/WASH Coordinator
LWF World Service is the humanitarian and development arm of the Lutheran World Federation. We are a widely recognized, international, faith-based organization working in over 20 countries. We seek to bring people of all backgrounds together in the common quest for justice, peace, and reconciliation in an increasingly complex and fragmented world.
Job Summary: Under the guidance of the EE/WASH Coordinator, the Civil/ WASH Engineer is responsible for planning/ budgeting, coordination, implementation, monitoring and reporting of Water supply systems and activities in the area of operation in accordance with LWF Uganda, and Donor Guidelines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out assessments on water supply systems and functionalities within area of operation including WASH facilities and report with recommended action points including cost estimates associated for rectification.
- Ensure quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to project document description, budget, technical guidelines, administrative systems, and established deadlines;
- Evaluate relevance and appropriateness of current and future programming in relation to water systems in the local context;
- Participate 100% in WASH proposals development to improved and increase water systems for the PoCs and neighboring host communities.
- Participate in Communicable and non-communicable disease surveillance in the community.
- The Civil/ WASH Engineer directly supervises and guides Engineering Assistants in conducting assessments and repairs of water systems.
- In liaison with EE/ WASH Coordinator, Participates in district and WASH meetings and other relevant humanitarian/recovery coordination meetings;
- Ensure that all relevant stakeholders have all relevant project information about activities running within LWF.
- Supervision of all construction works within LWF under WASH infrastructures.
- Development of required Bill of Quantity (BOQ) for construction works both new and repairs.
- Support the EE/WASH Coordinator in water, sanitation and hygiene promotion, programming, in broad coordination with other sectors;
- Initiate all procurement processes of WASH related activities (water supply operation, expansion and maintenance) by providing supply requisition and concept notes for reviews by EE/WASH Coordinator and relevant authorities.
- Ensure that all Engineering Assistants have approved work plans;
- Ensure that all Work Plans, Procurement Plans, Manpower Plans for all projects in the sub programs are submitted on time;
- Build the capacity of project teams on proper project planning and scheduling.
- Ensure that field activities are responded to as required.
- Supervise and manage the Engineering team, pump operators and guards in the field;
- Identify staff talent and provide technical trainings, coaching and mentorship to improve staff capacities.
- Set and agree with the team on performance objectives for all Engineering Assistants, direct reports in appraisal, and ensuring all team members have appropriately set objectives, and appraisals are undertaken in a timely manner;
- Lead and manage staff through ensuring clarity over plans and priorities, providing supervision, guidance and mentoring, encouraging effective team work and inclusiveness and building team spirit through regular meetings and events and clear reporting mechanisms for each team member.
Financial management / Budget Monitoring & Control:
- Develop accurate activity budgets, annual budgets and participate in budget revisions for the project/program according to donor standards;
- Monitor all water systems, operation and maintenance’s expenditure and ensure appropriate utilization of budget as planned in project document.
- Keep track of all project/program budgets and ensure that project activities are within assigned budgets;
- Review financial management reports to track expenditures and provide feedback to the EE/ WASH Coordinator for guidance.
- Ensure that the financial implications of plans are fully considered and reflected in the annual budgets;
- Develop tools for budget tracking, activity tracking and monitoring for proper project implementation as expected.
Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting:
- Participate in day-to-day follow up of field activities;
- Responsible for ensuring the project is running in accordance with the project plan and on time;
- In liaison with EE/ WASH Coordinator and M&E unit, prepare activity plans, monitoring and evaluation system for the WASH Projects.
- In partnership with the M&E department, Civil/ WASH Engineer participates in developing M&E Tools and ensures effective deployment and use of those tools.
- Participate in the implementation of a robust M&E System to monitor project performance and ensure an appropriate level of accountability;
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of all project reports to EE/ WASH Coordinator.
Other: Undertake any other related tasks, or other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the LWF Uganda Roving Civil & WASH Engineer job placement must hold a University Degree in Water, Civil Engineering, Public Health or other relevant field of study;
- Post Graduate training in Project Planning and Management sound knowledge of Financial Management is an added advantage;
- At least three years’ experience in a similar position;
- Sound Knowledge of hygiene and sanitation Improvement Approaches like CLTS, PHAST, CHAST, including WASH National and International Standards (Sphere, UNHCR etc).
- Proven knowledge and experience in developing and implementation of WASH interventions in Humanitarian/development context.
- Demonstrate well-developed interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as negotiation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, to remain flexible and make decisions independently.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should submit an updated CV and Application letter in Pdf format and not more that 3mb, giving a day time telephone contact and email addresses of 3 (three) work related referees only through our recruitment email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the full job title of the position you are applying for as the subject line
Deadline: 12th March 2021 by 5:00pm
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY COMPANY
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY ROLE