Senior Accountant – Tax, Compliance and Reporting Employment Opportunity – Britam
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Britam is a leading diversified financial services group, listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange. The group has interests across the East African region and offers a wide range of financial products and services in Insurance, Asset Management, Banking and Property. The product range includes life, health and general insurance, pensions, unit trusts, investment planning, wealth management, off-shore investments, retirement planning, discretionary portfolio management, property development and private equity.
Job Summary: The Senior Accountant – Tax, Compliance and Reporting will be responsible for providing effective control on regulatory compliance in all tax, IRA/ BOU requirement, and support monthly and annual financial reporting. Also organizing and maintaining records of tax payments including showing interest in following changes to tax regulations and laws. The role holder will report to the Financial Accountant and Country Operations Manager.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive 100% continuous Statutory and Legal compliance and ensure relevant tax returns are filed as per tax planning schedule;
- Prepare/Review tax payments, estimate and track tax returns;
- Complete monthly, quarterly and annual tax reports, IRA returns, BOU returns, FIA returns reports and prepare/review necessary paperwork for tax payments and returns;
- Organize and update the company’s tax database, recommend tax strategies that align with business goals;
- Identify tax compliance matters at underwriting, claims and utility levels. Suggest ways to increase profits by Tax Savings, follow industry trends and track changes related to taxes;
- Liaise with internal and external auditors and also forecast tax predictions to senior managers;
- Ensure that proper books of accounts are maintained to satisfy legal and internal requirements;
- Provide timely and accurate monthly financial and accounting information to management and play a key role in preparation of year end accounts to ensure that the year-end audit exercise progresses smoothly;
- Implement sound accounting and operating procedures including sound internal controls and ensure adherence to company policies; and
- Deliver on performance requirements as defined in the departments’ strategy map, balanced scorecard and Personal Scorecard.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting), Business, Law or its equivalent degree;
- Fully qualified accountant Certified Public Accountant (CPA)/Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)/Chartered Accountant (CA);
- At least three to four years’ experience in a professional firm or a financial related organization specializing in Tax or regulatory compliance;
- Strong inter-personal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented and collaborative environment;
- Strong team player with excellent leadership skills;
- High level of integrity and attentive to detail and analytical; and
- Excellent communications skills both oral and written.
- Presenting and Communicating Information – Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; presents effectively; responds quickly to others ‘reactions and feedback during conversations; projects credibility.
- Working with People – Shows respect for the views and contributions of team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and pro-actively shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
- Adhering to Principles and Values – Upholds and encourages ethical behaviour and departmental values; demonstrates integrity; encourages individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organisational values during every day interactions.
- Analysing – Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, breaking them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be part of a much larger system / process / problem.
- Planning and Organising – Adheres to and monitors clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations – Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets and models high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves projects goals.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online by clicking on the link below.