Senior District Support Officer – Team Leader Job Placement – National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Job Title: Senior District Support Officer – Team Leader
Organization: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: District Support Manager
Job Ref: NEMA/ADV/EXT/08/2018
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) was established under the National Environment Act Cap. 153 to promote and ensure sound environmental management practices for sustainable development in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Senior District Support Officer- Team Leader will support the environment management function in local governments, private sector and civil society organizations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer technical support for environment management at local governments, private sector and civil society organizations;
- Support the preparation of guidelines for decentralized environment management;
- Prepare and implement the District Environment Action Plans and other environment management programmes;
- Liaise with local governments in capacity building programmes for environment management;
- Review District Environment management reports and provide guidance;
- Support Environment Assessment and Audit functions;
- Monitor environmental compliance of and implementation of environmental mitigation measures of projects in the regions;
- Participate in the Ministry of Local Government annual assessment for the performance of local governments;
- Actively participate in mobilizing the stakeholders to ensure collective responses to environmental challenges in the regions;
- Initiate dialogue with communities and other stakeholders to boost community participation in environment and natural resource management and to promote the concept of community based environment and natural resource management in the region;
- Respond to all environment management matters/concerns raised by the public within the region;
- Support the implementation of environmental micro-projects at district and community levels; and
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the NEMA Senior District Support Officer- Team Leader job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following: Environmental and/or Natural Resource Management, Natural or Physical Science, Environmental Engineering, Science Education.
- Master’s degree in any of the above.
- At least 5 years of work experience, 2 of which should have been at senior officer level.
- Leadership and mentoring skills;
- Strong organizational and planning skills;
- Good team building and management skills;
- Proven capacity to work with minimum supervision;
- Ability to work independently;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Good reporting skills;
- Proven knowledge of local government systems;
- Good partnership and networking skills;
- Good negotiation skills
- Knowledgeable about the area geographically and socially;
- Good research skills; and
- Good command of English language.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their hand written applications together with copies of certificates/ testimonials and detailed curriculum vitae indicating three professional referees addressed to:-
The Executive Director,
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA),
NEMA House, Plot 17/19/21 Jinja Road,
P.O. Box 22255, Kampala. Uganda
E- mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 17th July 2018