Senior Health System Strengthening Advisor USAID Project Jobs – John Snow,
Job Title: Senior Health System Strengthening Advisor
Organization: John Snow, Inc (JSI)
Funding Source: United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party-Community / District Engagement
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a leader in improving the health of individuals and communities by providing high-quality technical and managerial assistance to public health programs worldwide. JSI has implemented projects in 100 countries, and currently operates from eight U.S. and 81 international offices for the past 30 years. The JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. ID a leading public health research and consulting organization.
About USAID RHITES-N Project:
RHITES-N, Lango will contribute to improving key population- based national health indicators; build the capacity of the Ugandan government to carry out a sustainable and locally- driven response to the HIV epidemic, while also improving TB, malaria, nutrition, MNCH+A, and WASH outcomes. JSI will work with Ugandan stakeholders to design and implement health system strengthening strategies to scale up high-impact, evidence-based interventions at the national, sub-regional, district, and community levels. Interventions will include VMMC, virtual elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV, antiretroviral therapy, and condom education and distribution. JSI will focus where the greatest impact can be realized, with a priority on hard-to-reach and high-HIV-prevalence locations. RHITES-N, Lango is a five-year contract. The JSI team includes Amref Health Africa, Doctors with Africa CUAMM, Another Option, and Medical Concierge Group.
Job Summary: The Senior HSS Advisor will oversee the health systems technical support provided to the Lango subregion and district governments. This position requires close coordination with national and regional policy makers and program managers of other implementing partners. This position will be a member of the middle management team and will report directly to the DCOP Community Engagement. The Senior HSS Advisor will oversee consultants, having technical checks and reviewing the final deliverables from the consultants when required. The incumbent will work closely with the Deputy Chief of Party and assist in drafting strategic plans, preparing strategic documents, concept papers and Annual Work Plans, which are based on the strategic plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Deputy Chief of Party in coordinating with the district governments and providing technical support for capacity building, good governance, health information systems, health commodities and integration of health services.
- Supervise and support district based project staff and make sure their activities are focused as per the work plan.
- Build, maintain and strengthen district government and stakeholder’s relationships with the project.
- Liaise with the Technical Leads to ensure district health delivery systems and health care facilities consistently meet the quality standards of care.
- Oversee technical support provided by project to support district led planning and implementation.
- Provide technical support to the Program Managers of all vertical programs at the regional level.
- As a member of the senior leadership team, assist in drafting program documents like the strategic plan, preparing strategic documents, concept papers, Annual Work Plans, quarterly and annual reports, as needed.
- Maintain documentation of meetings, correspondence, and other materials related to activities identified under health system strengthening.
- Monitor activities of the project, prepare monitoring reports, identify problems and propose possible solutions along with recommendations to Chief of Party.
- Assist DCOP and SLT in implementation of project activities and their outputs as planned and suggest corrective actions when needed.
- To increase the capacity of regional and district and provincial level staff to implement, monitor and evaluate integrated health services.
- Provide representation of the project as appropriate and necessary with relevant internal and external counterparts, partners, and stakeholders.
- Ensure coordination with project finance and administration staff for the timely completion of budgets and reporting.
- Ensure that the project adheres to national and internationally accepted technical norms and standards and that best practices and approaches are well-documented and highlighted throughout project implementation.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the USAID RHITES-N Project Senior Health System Strengthening Advisor job placement should hold a Master’s Degree in public health or a related field OR 5 years of experience (in addition to the below requirement of 5 years) in a management position for a donor funded health project;
- Eight years of progressively increasing responsibility working for a technical assistance health program;
- Experience working on health systems strengthening activities;
- Experience designing and implementing successful HSS approaches with government;
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, supervisory, communications and mentoring skills;
- Experience managing technical staff; and
- Experience working with a variety of partners including CBOs, DHOs, etc.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their updated cover letters and updated CVs to email@example.com
Deadline: 4th January 2019
University News Updates for 2019 - 2020