Senior Technical Advisor SBC USAID Project Jobs – Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs (CCP)
Organization: Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs (CCP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief of Party
We are hiring! Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs (CCP) is currently recruiting for a Senior Technical Advisor SBC for an upcoming five year USAID-funded Social and Behavior Change (SBC) project in Uganda.
At CCP, we believe in the power of communication to save lives, by empowering people to adopt healthy behaviors for themselves, their families and their communities.
Good health is critical not only to an individual’s well-being, but also to community and national development, impacting educational and economic success. With projects in more than 40 countries across Africa, Asia and Latin America along with work in our hometown of Baltimore, CCP’s portfolio spans the globe.
Job Summary: The Senior Technical Advisor will oversee the technical activities and staff on a large five-year USAID-funded social and behavior change (SBC) project in Uganda, pending funding confirmation. S/he will directly assist the COP and DCOP in the design, implementation and monitoring of SBC interventions while ensuring they are in accordance with the quality requirements of the Activity. The responsibility extends to promoting learning within the project and with other USAID partners working in Uganda and rolling out the SBC packages.
This SBC Advisor will lead key activities and have overall responsibility for SBC implementation. S/he will possess both deep applied experience in SBC and demonstrated abilities in leadership; strategic thinking; application of best practices, gender integration and innovations in SBC. The SBC Advisor will integrate learnings from global best practices, s/he will provide strategic direction for SBC programming, while proactively engaging and convening a broad range of donors and implementers in advancing the practice of SBC in Uganda. The SBC Advisor will be required to travel in Uganda, and internationally, as needed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Technical Leadership and Innovation
- Provide cutting edge leadership and innovation for SBC
- Oversee the integration and use of approaches such as human-centered design and behavioral economics, digital strategies, and gender and youth-focused strategies
- Provide leadership and oversee the regionally based capacity building team
- Manage national SBC flagship initiatives, including branded campaigns, entertainment-education, and toolkits
- Ensure communication channels and systems are in place to understand the needs and feedback from other implementing partners and stakeholders in Uganda
- Develop SBC strategies and provide technical assistance across a variety of health areas
- Recommend processes and mechanisms to improve efficiency and impact
- Lead shifts in approach as needed based on the reports and data
- Ensure that gender is at the forefront of all SBC activities, including design, planning, implementation, and monitoring
Management and Oversight
- Conduct staff appraisals and develop capacity strengthening plans
- Provide leadership for activities, including supervision of the Technical Advisor for Capacity Strengthening, Specialists for Behavioral Economics and Human Centered Design, Rollout & Engagement Specialist, and Gender & Youth Advisor
- Represent the project at relevant forums at national level; and provide support to the community engagement team to undertake similar roles effectively at regional and lower levels
- Participate in the development of the project’s strategic documents including work plan and quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports
- Compile program reports as required
- Seek, select, engage, and monitor qualified consultants and agencies to provide technical assistance in support of the project
- Any other relevant duties as assigned by the Deputy Chief of Party and/or the Chief of Party or as agreed/assigned during meetings with the broader project team
Partnership and coordination
- Develop partnerships with relevant institutions to strengthen/implement project activities
- Liaise with key line Ministries
- Respond to USAID requests related to progress against targets and provide other programmatically relevant information in a timely fashion
- Coordinate with other senior staff to ensure strategic project management
- Attend meetings and represent the SBC initiatives of the project in all relevant levels of government officials, partners, donor, NGO and private sector representatives
Capacity strengthening and training
- Provide mentorship to technical staff
- Ensure all staff have the technical knowledge to complete their job duties
- Provide training opportunities to staff as appropriate
- Co-facilitate training workshops, including agenda, curriculum, manuals and materials necessary to appropriately train individuals
- Train and oversee staff on the project manuals and technical information
- Mentor local NGOs subcontracted by the project on technical areas
- Provide support to and build the capacity of partner organizations and existing traditional structures to design and implement community engagement activities
- Carry out field visits as needed and work with staff in a collaborative manner to increase their technical capacity
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ professional experience in delivering Social Behavior Change programs with progressively increased responsibility working for health technical assistance programs or other health related services.
- A Master’s degree in Medicine, Social Sciences, Public Health, Communications or other relevant degree or a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with a minimum of fifteen (15) years of professional experience in delivering SBC and professional experience working in mid to senior management positions.
- Uganda national.
- Excellent past performance references.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, depth and breadth of management expertise and technical experience.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Experience in successfully engaging the private sector.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, depth and breadth of management expertise and experience.
- High level of interpersonal, technical, and analytical skills including a demonstrated ability to interact effectively and collaboratively with a broad range of public and private sector counterparts and other key stakeholders.
- Excellent skills and experience in collaborative working relationships with senior level government leadership;
- Experience with integration of gender and youth analysis into health projects and services;
- Required oral and written fluency in English;
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the web form below.
Deadline: 15th April 2020