Several HCT Counselor Job Opportunities – Makerere University Joint AIDS Program (MJAP)
Organisation: Makerere University Joint AIDS Program (MJAP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Prevention Coordinator, MJAP
Makerere University Joint AIDS Program (MJAP) is a private-not-for profit Company under Makerere University. MJAP works to build partnerships and strengthen health systems to optimally respond to HIV/AIDS, TB, Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and other diseases of public health importance in Africa. MJAP is implementing a sub-award grant from Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI), for accelerating HIV/AIDS Epidemic Control in Kampala region; with funding from the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
Job Summary: The HCT Counselor will provide comprehensive HIV testing and counselling services to eligible patients at New Mulago National Referral Hospital and document outcomes in line with MoH counseling guidelines and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- To provide risk based HIV testing services to patients at New Mulago National Referral Hospital
- To provide index client testing to eligible HIV index clients (including APN, biological children testing and social network strategy testing).
- Link all the identified HIV positive clients to care and treatment services at the Mulago ISS clinic
- Link eligible HIV negative clients to PrEP and other prevention service like PEP, VMMC etc.
- Follow up elicited sexual, biological children with unknown HIV status and social contacts for index clients
- Strengthen Flexi hour testing to cover up upcoming units in Mulago Hospital complex
- Assess psychosocial; cultural, spiritual and related patient needs and support them in finding a solution; where possible link them to other service providers that address substance abuse, mental health issues, teenage pregnancy, rape, child abuse, disclosure issues, bereavement, family support, conflict and child testing, welfare, PMTCT, OVC, crisis, will- making, development projects etc.
- Conduct mentorship activities for APN,SNS,HIVST services to health workers on MOPD, medical wards and New Mulago Hospital complex
- To document and complete all counseling services in appropriate tools and registers in a timely manner as provided by the Ministry of Health (MoH)
- To document quality improvement methodologies and learning experiences from each client in strict compliance with Confidentiality provisions ; and use the data in knowledge creation and sharing in order to improve counseling services as per the National guideline.
- Participate in prevention activities conducted at the New Mulago National Referral Hospital/ MJAP ISS clinic such as; HIV Discordant couple forums.
- Continuously conduct health education talks with patients to live positively with HIV; by providing information on prevention, testing, viral load, ART, prophylactic, relevant health checks and other areas that affect their quality of life.
- Participate in continuous quality improvement approaches aimed at improving program performance.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Diploma in nursing/midwifery, Bachelor’s Degree in Counseling or social work with additional training in HIV counseling
- At least two years’ experience in HIV counseling in a busy clinic setting
- Membership of the Uganda Counseling Association as added advantage.
- Certificate in HIV/AIDS counseling and Antiretroviral therapy
- Proficient in Counseling models & communication skills
- Integrity, confidentiality, empathy and emotional control
- Self-motivated, take initiative, flexibility and able mentor others
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified candidates should apply via the email below and submit their cover letters, a detailed curriculum vita and copies of relevant academic documents to: email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to; The Human Resource Manager, Makerere University Joint AIDS Program (MJAP)
Please ensure that your attachments do not exceed 5 MB.
We do appreciate your interest to work with MJAP. However, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 2 weeks after the submission deadline.
Deadline: 25th May 2021 by 5:00pm.
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY COMPANY
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY ROLE