Job Title: Team Leader
Project Name: DFID-funded Northern Uganda: Transforming the Economy through Climate Smart Agriculture (NU-TEC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Palladium develops and delivers solutions that create positive impact for communities, businesses, societies and economies. We transform lives and create enduring value by working with governments, corporations and non-profit organisations. Palladium is built on the idea that progress will be supported by four key pillars: International Development, Strategy Execution Consulting, Impact Investment, Training and Events.
About DFID NU-TEC Program:
NU-TEC Market Development (MD) is a five year DFID-funded programme that aims to increase the incomes and climate resilience of poor men and women in northern Uganda by (a) stimulating sustainable, pro-poor growth in selected agricultural markets and (b) improving the position of poor men and women within these market systems, to make them more inclusive for poor people. Palladium manages the programme on behalf of DFID.
Job Summary: The Team Leader has overall in-country programmatic, financial and management responsibility for the project. The Team Leader is a senior representative of the company and as such ensures that risks are minimized, company policies, processes and procedures are adhered to, and the project is compliant with client policies, rules and regulations. The Team Leader is the primary liaison with the client and represents the company with other donors, partners and stakeholders, including the government of Uganda.The role ensures that project objectives, outcomes and deliverables are met and that financial, operational and reporting requirements of the client are adhered to. The role works closely with and manages the project team of technical and administrative professionals and other support staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic and Operational Planning:
- Take lead in the preparation of the annual strategic plans; update the three monthly technical and operational work plans and budgets on a monthly basis; staffing plans; performance improvement plans and other plans as required;
- Ensure appropriate consultation in the development of plans and budgets (including consultation with the Project Director, Operations Team, the client, and other project stakeholders);
- Direct management oversight of the managers leading the field office teams that will deliver NU-TEC MD’s programme.
- Offer overall guidance and strategic direction to all aspects of the programme, ensuring that activities are implemented within expected timeframes and expected results are achieved.
- Assume overall responsibility for the effective implementation of work plans and ensures delivery is on time, within budget, meets client and stakeholder expectations and is contractually compliant;
- Regularly monitor implementation progress; maintain up to date logs of issues and risks; work to resolve issues, manage and mitigate risks; and escalate material issues and risks as appropriate;
Human Resource Management:
- Assume overall responsibility for the effective and professional management of the project team;
- Lead, guide, mentor and manage the performance of technical and administrative direct reports and ensure appropriate leadership, guidance, mentorship and management of other staff;
- Actively participate as required in HR management including but not limited to recruitment and contracting, performance management, disciplinary and grievance proceedings, and learning and development;
Financial Management and Administration:
- Primary responsibility for the use of reimbursable financial project resources, excluding lines associated with Palladium expenditure.
- Responsible for resource allocation decisions, including the choice and use of personnel and development of budget variations, to be made based on a consideration of past and future commercial project performance and the need to achieve and improve on corporate income targets.
- Responsible for ensuring the financial performance of the project is met and exceeded in terms of the company bottom line;
- Ensure consistent implementation of company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)and Guidelines, Security Protocols and, where applicable, recommend modifications;
- Ensure the project provides and demonstrates good value for money;
- Support the preparation and delivery to the client of budget variations and contract amendments;
Client Relationship and Stakeholder Management:
- Represent and promote legitimate commercial interests of the company;
- Maintain excellent working relationship with the client and ensure agreement of the program’s strategy, plans, resource requirements and any other contract amendments required;
- Manage relationships with the actors where NU-TEC is implemented of, industry actors, business partners and Palladium implementing partners.
- Maintain regular communication with the client and relevant stakeholders and ensure that activity reports and critical program issues are resolved in a timely manner;
- Undertake effective relationship building with private sector operatives who are active in the programme environment, and who are willing to invest in the sector.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a postgraduate qualification in Agricultural Economics or relevant field
- At least ten years of relevant experience, with specific experience managing large DFID-funded programs
- At least four years of people management experience including setting clear performance objectives, managing for results, giving and receiving feedback, performance evaluation, mentoring and coaching
- In country working experience in Uganda
- Successful track record in delivery of complex programmes
- Strong technical track record in systemic market development
- Excellent leadership, representation and organizational skills
- Strong management and people handling skills
- Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyze financial reports
- Ability to operate in complex situations
- Ability to foster successful partnership approaches and relationships among a variety of organizations/institutions
- Excellent English language communication skills and ability to work collaboratively across technical disciplines
- Ability to communicate effectively and negotiate persuasively with high level decision makers
- Results oriented
How to Apply:
If you want to work for the Palladium Group in the aforementioned capacity should Apply Online by clicking on web link below.
Deadline: 28th August, 2016