Technical Officer US Non-profit Careers – Jhpiego
Job Title: Technical Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Jhpiego is an “international non-profit health organization affiliated with Johns Hopkins University.” The group was founded in 1973 and initially called the Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics, but is now referred to simply as Jhpiego.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Technical Advisor, the Technical Officer Position will be responsible for providing technical and implementation support to all project activities in the respective districts of operation. S/he will ensure the technical quality of all activities in support of the project’s overall goal, through regular liaison with and supervision from the Regional Referral Hospitals. S/he will also provide ongoing technical support to the district health teams and other partners and stakeholders as relevant to the project scope and in accordance with its approach to understanding and influencing positive change in quality of care. S/he will also be responsible for capacity building function, which involves working closely with the project’s partners, including the district health teams, health workers and regional referral hospital staff. Throughout the project, Jhpiego will target West Nile Region and the 3 districts of Lamwo, Amuru and Agago in Acholi sub-region.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Train and work with Health Workers to improve quality of care
- Support the implementation of the RMNCAH/N/HIV high impact interventions at regional and district levels.
- Conduct regular routine assessments and supervision visits to program related sites and activities.
- Carry out any other duties in support of the wider Project goal as assigned
- Participate in the development of RMNCAH/N/HIV project work plans.
- Work closely with the M&E to Collect and analyze complete programmatic data in a timely fashion
- Support the collection of routine health data from health facilities and district health teams.
- Support the conduct of surveys as required.
- Maintain regular communication with the Technical Advisor and compile work plan updates from the field
- Provide regular progress, trip and monthly reports to the line Manager in a timely manner and ensure that all the reports are filed
- Support the M&E Officer to ensure that all relevant project documentation is disseminated to the district health teams.
- Participate in relevant meetings, presenting project results and experiences as required.
- Develop effective and collaborative relationships with all project partners, including the district health teams, implementing partners and network of CSOs in the regions.
- Ensure that complementary technical approaches are established with other stakeholders in similar geographical locations.
- Ensure effective coordination with and capacity building support to the district and community levels.
- Capture and document field activities, case studies and experience from the field during the course of routine work.
- Adhere to all project policies and procedures
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a Health related field including Public Health, Community Health or equivalent.
- A strong background in medicine and nursing is preferred.
- At least five years’ work experience in similar field and /or experience working on a USAID funded project
- Experience in capacity building/ transferring of skills
- Experience in working with local government
- Experience in developing work plans and activity budgets
- Thorough understanding of high impact RMNCAH/N/HIV interventions
- Familiarity with the strategies and guidelines of the RMNCAH sharpened plan/Investment case
- Competency in computer applications (word, excel, power point)
- Excellent communication skills, with strong leadership skills and a supportive management style
- Excellent diplomacy and stakeholder liaison skills, and experience in working in partnerships to deliver programs
How to Apply:
All applicants should apply online at the link below.