UKAID Program Officer NGO Jobs – Teach A Man To Fish UK
Organization: Teach A Man To Fish UK
Duty Station: Kampala, with travel to Mpigi, Dokolo and Arua (30% travel), Uganda
Reports to: Head of Programs
Salary and benefits: UGX 2,620,000 gross salary per month, medical health insurance for staff + 1 dependant
About Teach A Man To Fish:
Teach A Man To Fish is guided by a simple, all-encompassing mission: to empower young people with the skills they need to succeed, in school, work, and life. We focus on developing and emerging countries. This is done by supporting schools to set up educational and profitable school businesses that provide real-life hands-on training and experience for students. This empowers student entrepreneurs with critical workplace, entrepreneurship and life skills and mindsets so that they can leave school with the competencies to get a good job or run their own successful business. We are a small organization with a big reach – Since 2006, we’ve created over 300,000 student entrepreneurs and 18,000 enterprising teachers through our global programmes.
About UKAID Grant:
Teach A Man To Fish anticipates a 2 year UKAID grant to implement School Enterprise Challenge in 54 primary and secondary schools in Arua, Dokolo and Mpigi from 2023-2024.
In the first year of the project, 54 primary & secondary schools will be selected to participate in the School Enterprise Challenge Awards Program, 2 teachers (gender balanced) selected from each school. The selection will be done in participatory approach with Advisory Group (students, teachers, headteachers, private sector, gender-balanced, including PWDs) & DEOs. Child protection/inclusion and gender consultants will also be engaged to refine teacher training & instructional materials for gender & disability-responsive programming using extensive experience supporting girls/women & PWD in Uganda. Both project staff and lead teachers will be trained to support gender & disability- inclusive student business teams & establish a safe, supportive environment. In the second year of the project, 122 vulnerable students will be trained and supported with a match fund to implement Income Generating Activities (IGAs) at their homes.
Job Summary: The Program Officer – UKAID project will lead on the implementation of the project in Mpigi, Arua and Dokolo Districts. The Project Officer will also lead on recruitment of 3 based District Monitors and capacity build them to support the planning and implementation of 54 school businesses and 122 IGAs in the target district. This position will be based in at Kampala Office with regular travels to the target districts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead on recruitment and onboarding of District based Monitors for Mpigi, Dokolo and Arua.
- Support the head of Programs to maintain the relationships with target district local government officials as stipulated in the MoUs signed with the target district local governments.
- Support the Head of Programs in reviewing and adaptation programme training resources and weekly guides.
- Coordinate, supervise teacher training at step one and two and ensure the training is delivered to expected standards.
- Manage, coach and empower assigned District Monitors and capacity build them to ensure quality delivery of school monitoring visits at step one and two.
- Conduct regular spot checks visits target schools in Mpigi. Dokolo and Arua and ensure that monitoring visits are delivered to acceptable standards using the agreed tools.
- Lead on marketing and sensitization events for the SEC programme in Mpigi, Dokolo and Arua districts and contribute to achieving registration targets.
- Supervise the District Monitors to deliver all comms activities in target schools and ensure e-mails, SMS, phone calls and WhatsApp communications delivered according to work plan, with consistent accurate messaging.
- Support the Head of Programs to ensure that Comms and visit trackers in respect of UKAID project are updated timely.
- Support the Head of Programs to do timely UKAID quarterly programme reporting as stipulated in the funding agreement.
Finance & Administration 10%
- Support HoP to manage budget and deliver activities within budget limits
- Ensure weekly financial requests and reconciliations submitted on time with 100% accuracy
Monitoring and Evaluation 10%
- Support MEAL Manager to deliver baseline and summative evaluations on time, to budget and to quality standard
- Coordinate delivery of inspirational stories on time and to quality standard
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Teach A Man To Fish UKAID Program Officer job placement must hold a bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Social Work, Commerce, Business Administration, Development Studies, Adult & Community Education, Business Computing, Accounting, or a related field.
- Two to four years of experience in a Field Officer/Program Officer role or similar role
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and oral
- Understanding of basic business concepts, including business planning and business management.
- Ability to use common software packages including Word, Excel, Skype, E-mail
- Proven ability to problem-solve, multi-task and work independently
- Well-developed organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment as part of a small team
- Willingness to travel by public transport and work flexibly
- No criminal record (to be evidenced by a letter of good conduct from Interpol)
- Experience in business planning and business management processes
- Experience of teaching or training
- Experience of gender mainstreaming gender equality and inclusion in development programming
- Experience working with education or child protection programmes in the Uganda context
- Certificate in programme management, monitoring and evaluation or similar
NB: This position is contingent upon confirmation of UKAID funding. We anticipate a large number of applications and as such only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a maximum of 4 paged CV and one-page cover letter (combined into a single PDF document). Please be sure to clearly show in your cover letter why you are interested in this job and what makes you the most suitable candidate. Please also include your salary history. Completed applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application: Program Officer – UKAID Project” in the title of the email
Deadline: Thursday 31st, December 2020
NB: Do not attach academic documents at this point. Qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.