UN Careers – Risk Management Officer – United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Organisation: United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Vacancy Notice: Internal/ External Vacancy notice UNOPS/002/2020
Position Number: UNOPS/002/01
United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)’ mission is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peace building, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, UNOPS vision is to always satisfy partners with management services that meet world-class standards of quality, speed and cost effectiveness. By assisting UN organizations, international financial institutions, governments and other development partners, UNOPS makes significant, tangible contributions to results on the ground.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Compliance: Work with the team in ensuring response to the recommendation by the internal audit is in place:
- Identify shortfalls in evidence-based decision making and carry out or oversee the preparation of any special studies, process mapping and analysis as requested by management.
- In support of systems strengthening, transparency and accountability; liaise with relevant Sectors and offices to monitor and identify critical and emerging issues; recommend approaches and alternatives; anticipate political and sensitive issues, research information, gather facts, develop alternatives and coordinate a timely response on audit recommendation.
- To strengthen internal control mechanism, of particular finance, programme, supply, livelihood and cash-based intervention, ensure relevant SOPs are set in place and implementation and monitoring are being done in timely and regular manner.
Risk management: Follow up on the identified high risks mitigation and prevention measures;
- Through participation in UNHCR Coordination Model and ad hoc multi-functional meetings, support establishing linkages where risks are identified between sector expertise, fundraising opportunities, and programming requirements in line with field priorities to support a clear understanding of the country context, analysis of the regional and national development plans, identification of main partners, and strategic positioning of UNHCR in the potential operational niches identified, including private sector opportunities.
- Assist the Principle Risk Management & Compliance Advisor in her liaison with external stakeholders (e.g. Donors, Government Officers, Partners etc.) both as a resource person and a Secretariat in coordination of related meetings and production of relevant documentation;
- Provide strategic analysis of the key cross cutting studies, reports and trends, and formulate recommendations for integration into risk assessments.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) Risk Management Officer job opportunity should hold an Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Finance, Political Science, Economics, Public Policy, International Relations or other related fields is required.
- Minimum 5 years of previous relevant job experience with at least 3 years of experience in audit, finance, risk assessment, and complex strategic policy analysis is required.
- Experience delivering in a demanding, results-oriented environment while working within tight time constraints to meet deadlines with high quality work is required.
- A proven ability to act with discretion and diplomacy is required.
- Excellent written and spoken English, including drafting and editing skills is required.
- Advanced computer skills for MS Office Suite, specifically Word, SharePoint, and Excel are required.
- Financial Literacy
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Technological Awareness
- Planning and Organizing
- Relationship Building
- Working experience in UN and familiarity in programming, supply, finance and admin is desirable.
- Priority exposure to UNHCR refugee operations and function relating to operations and programme activities is desirable
How to Apply:
If interested in joining the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) in the aforementioned capacity, please click on link below to visit website and create profile or express interest if you already have a profile on the UN system.
Deadline: 9th June 2020