UN HR Associate (HR & Admin) Job Placements – United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Organisation: United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Vacancy Code: VA/2020/B5001/19909
Reports to: Head of Support Services
United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)’ mission is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peace building, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, UNOPS vision is to always satisfy partners with management services that meet world-class standards of quality, speed and cost effectiveness. By assisting UN organizations, international financial institutions, governments and other development partners, UNOPS makes significant, tangible contributions to results on the ground.
Job Summary: The HR Associate (HR & Admin) is responsible for administering and implementing services, plans, and processes covering the array of Human Resources Management service lines for optimal employee and talent management, i.e. recruitment, learning, performance management, transition, organizational development, and contract management. S/he serves as the first contact for internal and external clients in resolving questions on processes and procedures and provision of guidance and information related to HR initiatives and services to a wide range of UNOPS clients.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Support to policy development and implementation
- Contribute to HR policy development and corporate HR initiatives by assisting to collect data on trends, risks and opportunities and sharing local HR best practices;
- Assist with projects in support of HR initiatives for attainment of business objectives in line with the corporate HR strategy;
- Support the communication of HR policy changes and new HR initiatives to management and personnel, providing guidance as needed.
- Provide guidance on HR related systems and processes including but not limited to Recruitment, Contracts, Position Management, Performance Management, Benefits and Entitlements consistent with UNOPS rules and procedures;
- Provide advice and guidance to personnel on administrative procedures, processes and practices;
- Act as liaison between unit and internal and external clients and provides proactive customer service to expedite completion of projects, and provide information;
- As the first face of HR, ensure that new hires’ first impressions are positive and that they have all in-processing information completed;
- Advise hiring management and guide personnel on UNOPS recruitment and performance management processes, and learning and development initiatives, resources, and plans;
- Provide advice to supervisors on good practices, policies and procedures in performance management, including managing of under-performance;
- Support the implementation of institutional gender and diversity initiatives, providing education and advice on issues related to equity, compliance, inclusion, and diversity.
Talent Acquisition & Administration and Office Administrative Services:
- Provide support in the recruitment processes ensuring best practices are used for effective and efficient talent acquisition in line with UNOPS policy;
- Actively participate in workforce planning at the office and project level and guide clients through recruitment and selection processes. Take lead on requisition initiation, long-listing, testing and interviews, formal approvals, selection minutes, reference checking, fee calculation, offers and rejections, and updating recruitment on-line information system;
- Inform and advise UNOPS personnel, consultants, partners and project personnel on their conditions of service and entitlements according to their contract modality, expediting actions to facilitate their efficient, timely, and client-focused on-boarding;
- Liaise with UNOPS’ HR related groups such as BSSC on personnel administration matters and submit transactional HR service data (normally within the ERP system);
- Research precedents and present recommendations to supervisor, taking into account institutionalized exceptions. Undertake research on a range of HR related issues and assist in the preparation of notes/reports;
- Establish and maintain monitoring systems, advising the supervisor on the status of pending requests and approaching deadlines. Follow up on team work processes to ensure clearance, approvals and timely workflows;
- Answer questions and follow-up with personnel and management to ensure completion of absences requests, performance management cycle, and other HR processes etc. in electronic information systems;
- Liaise with relevant HQ and UN system units (such as Entebbe Support Base; Admin/protocol, ICT, Security, training sections) to exchange information and follow up on pending issues;
- Set up and maintain department files/records including but not limited to; personnel files, attendance sheets, leave records etc according to local and corporate record retention guidelines
- Follow up or process payroll verification;
- Monitor status of HR actions to facilitate timely action by supervisor and line management, including on transactions initiated, expiring appointments/contracts, and pending separation actions.
- Support efficient planning and management of the HR unit, including drafting annual recruitment plans, implementing designated projects in line with the corporate HR strategy, overseeing personnel file systems as well as provision of related statistical summaries and tracking movements of UNOPS personnel within the relevant business units;
- Prepare quarterly travel plans for the programme;
- Responsible for travel management activities for programme staff and visitors;
- Provide administrative support & coordination to key events (e.g. conferences, VIP visits, UN Day, training hosted in Entebbe etc.) in a timely and quality basis;
- Manage and maintain up-to-date training records and database of all personnel to ensure compliance in completion of mandatory training;
- Support the HRO in the implementation of internal guidelines and best practices.
- Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development;
- Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide support to the organization, facilitation and/or delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on HR-related topics.
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources;
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively;
- Undertake research on a range of HR related issues and provide content for notes/reports including quarterly and year-end reports for monitoring, statistical and review purposes by management;
- Liaise with relevant HQ and UN system units to exchange information and follow up on pending issues.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) HR Associate (HR & Admin) job opportunity should hold a First level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) combined with a minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience OR a High School/Secondary education equivalent combined with a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience. Required.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in an international and/or national organization in providing HR advisory, recruitment, administration and/or HR-generalist services.
- Language: Fluency in English (reading, writing and speaking) is required. Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is desired.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
NB: Candidates with no UN or UNOPS experience are strongly encouraged to apply. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
If interested in joining the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) in the aforementioned capacity, please click on link below to visit website and create profile or express interest if you already have a profile on the UN system.
Deadline: 28th July 2020
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda