UN Job Careers – Communications Senior Officer – United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Organisation: United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
Vacancy Notice: VA/2020/B5115/19372
United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)’ mission is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peace building, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, UNOPS vision is to always satisfy partners with management services that meet world-class standards of quality, speed and cost effectiveness. By assisting UN organizations, international financial institutions, governments and other development partners, UNOPS makes significant, tangible contributions to results on the ground.
Job Summary: The Cities Alliance seeks to recruit a Communication Senior Officer to work with the CA Secretariat and the Uganda Country Programme team and partners to oversee effective project implementation. The Communication Officer will be responsible for the effective communication of project activities, and promote positive publicity for its results, achievements and outcomes. He/she will be a member of the project management team reporting to the Project Manager. Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Communications Senior Officer will be responsible for efficient and effective management of communication activities. He/she will play a lead role in the design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of communication activities, while ensuring full compliance with the donor’s visibility requirements and guidelines, with objective to raise awareness of target audiences about activities, results and impact of the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure wide publicity of the project in all areas of significance in line with budgets and annual work-plans approved by the Project Steering Committee.
- Manage the communication channels including media and any stakeholders in relation to the project brand and image of the funders and client;
- Support in the development and subsequent management of the website of the Project with events (upcoming and completed), activities and major related partnerships, etc.;
- Develop and update the Project Communication Strategy with a communications plan for the project that includes all activities that are to be covered in the project;
- Ensure development, operationalisation and maintenance of an on-line website and portal for the Project, with frequent regular updates on key elements like events, partnerships etc.;
- Manage the social media platforms for the project and make responses accordingly;
- Develop and roll out communications products such as tweets, posts, blogs, press releases, etc;
- Coordinate communication on the project with counterparts in the partner implementing organisations including with regard to capacity building to have project information well disseminated for advocacy to different stakeholders;
- Maintain effective information flows between the the project management team, implementation partners, Cities Alliance, government and other stakeholders.
- Provide input into the project and Cities Alliance/UNOPS advocacy programmes and in this respect work closely with the Project stakeholders.
- Support the development of partnerships with relevant stakeholders to roll out the communications plan
- Take charge of the periodic publication of reports, audio and visual outputs of the project; and
- Undertake any other functions related to the successful implementation of the project as may be requested by the Project Manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) Communications Senior Officer job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, International Relations or a related field is required; a relevant postgraduate qualification will be an added advantage;
- Four years of relevant experience in management and dissemination of communication or advocacy.
- Demonstrated experience in communication with stakeholders is required.
- Experience in communication with social media is required.
- Language: Fluency in English is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems and social media communication in an institution;
- Experience in project and web-based information management;
- A good understanding of private sector development issues and appreciation of the role the private sector can play in economic development is desirable
- An appreciation/understanding of Social and Environmental safeguards will be an added advantage;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Knowledge of ICT applications to information management and dissemination;
How to Apply:
If interested in joining the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) in the aforementioned capacity, please click on link below to visit website and create profile or express interest if you already have a profile on the UN system.
Deadline: 23rd February 2020