UN Job Careers – Risk Management and Compliance Officer – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor
Position Grade: P3
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Risk Management and Compliance Officer will support operational managers in effective risk management and compliance thereby improving risk culture and integrity in the organization. The incumbent shall assist in reviewing the adequacy of risk management and compliance systems, structures, procedures and capacities across the Operation, and support development and delivery of measures as appropriate for their strengthening. The incumbent will be part of a network Risk Management 2.0 practitioners and will support corporate Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) capacity to ensure coherence of approach, identify and address systemic root causes requiring a corporate-level response, and the sharing of best-practice. The incumbent will work with managers and staff to assist and build their capacities to identify and address risk and compliance issues in their areas of responsibility.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support on risk management approaches, tools and compliance issues to management and staff.
- Support the integration of risk management in operational planning and decision-making processes.
- Support the review of risks across the operation, including identification, analysis and assessment.
- Support the design and implementation of risk mitigation actions as appropriate.
- Assist the risk advisor and functional units in the operation with all aspects of risk management.
- Maintain and update the Corporate Risk Register as an active risk management tool.
- Support the coordination and delivery of relevant trainings, workshops and other capacity building initiatives relevant to risk management and compliance internally and with partners.
- Contribute to improving procedures that integrate risk management and compliance within the Operation.
- Assist in the coordination and the follow-up on the oversight entities recommendations (audit, inspection, evaluation as well as internal compliance monitoring/coordination review assignment), and take appropriate action with the operation’s focal points to address any problems or difficulties arising from monitoring of the process.
- Undertake support missions in the operation as necessary and agreed/requested.
- Contribute to inter-agency forums and discussions related to risk management and compliance.
- Prepare/contribute relevant inputs to reports and analysis as requested.
- Risk management is integrated through planning and decision-making processes throughout the operation.
- UNHCR managers and staff are supported in their risk and compliance responsibilities through practical advice and assistance.
- Potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk are identified and corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues are developed and implemented.
- The Corporate Risk Register is maintained and regularly reviewed.
- Lessons learned are disseminated
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Risk Management and Compliance Officer job placement should hold an undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Business Administration, Management, Law, Economics, International Relations or related fields plus minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the position with at least four (4) years’ experience with UNHCR, other UN and/or humanitarian field. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 5 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 4 years of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Demonstrated experience in project management.
- Good knowledge of UN/UNHCR regulations and policies.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR/UN information systems (MSRP, Focus etc.) and standard computer applications (Excel, Word, Access, Visio, etc.).
- Demonstrated high level of integrity, objectivity, impartiality and fairness.
- Very strong analysis and drafting skills.
- Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Professional qualification in accounting, audit, fraud, public administration.
- General specific learning/training in the fields of evaluations, risk and programme management.
- Knowledge of and working experience with Enterprise Risk Management frameworks.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 16th April 2020