UN Jobs – Desert Locust Response Coordinator – Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Organisation: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: FAO Representative
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has a global mandate to improve nutrition, increase agricultural productivity, raise the standard of living in rural populations and contribute to global economic’ growth. Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts – to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
Job Summary: The Desert Locust Response Coordinator will be responsible for coordination of FAO response (surveillance, control and recovery efforts) in support of government intervention. The position will be based at the FAO Representation in Kampala with extensive travel in Eastern and Northern Uganda. The position’s technical focus is on the implementation of a sound desert locust response in line with the lifecycle of Desert Locust and includes technical elements of control, surveillance and livelihood protection.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Liaise with, and collaborate with all actors working in desert locust surveillance, control and recovery to ensure the DL response expectations are fulfilled quickly and efficiently;
- Liaise with FAO personnel in the field offices and in Kampala to ensure that FAO interventions are delivered within the agreed scope, time, cost and quality.
- Follow up with FAO personnel on procurement and timely delivery of equipment and materials for desert locust surveillance and control to targeted beneficiaries/users.
- Support local governments in affected areas to organize coordination and technical meetings and training workshops.
- Participate in coordination meetings and take necessary follow up actions;
- Articulate FAO’s interventions in the country in relation to global, sub-regional and national frameworks;
- Provide technical advice and support, monitor progress and report on desert locust surveillance, control and recovery efforts.
- Guide to ensure that activities on the ground are technically sound and meet expectations of government, donors and the communities served;
- Support and follow up interventions to ensure functionality of structures, concrete plans and strategies for surveillance and control.
- Provide timely reports as shall be agreed upon
- Perform any other duty as shall be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations FAO Desert Locust Response Coordinator job must hold an Advanced university degree in agriculture preferably in entomology or a closely related field
- At least five years of relevant professional experience in: pest surveillance and management; insect pest data collection using modern digital tools; and/or good knowledge and experience in pesticide risk management
- Working knowledge of English
- National of Uganda.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience in organizing and conducting trainings at national and local government level
- Excellent abilities in coordination and monitoring are required as well as demonstrated experience in coordinating and liaising with multiple stakeholders
- Ability, willingness and initiative to meet tight work schedules
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Relevant working experience for an international or multi-lateral organization and or with government is considered an advantage
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified Ugandan nationals are encouraged to send their applications online at the link below.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. FAO does not charge applicants any fees at any stage in the recruitment process.
Deadline: 12th June 2010