Job Title: Information Systems Assistant
Organization: United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 63162
Reports to: UNMISS Chief GITTS (CGITTS)
The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) was set up in 2011, with the objective to consolidate peace and security, and help establish conditions for development in the Republic of South Sudan, with a view to strengthening the capacity of the Government of South Sudan to govern effectively and democratically and establish good relations with its neighbours.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within limits of delegated authority, the Information System Assistant FS-5 will carry out the following duties:
- Assists with, and may lead a team in the coordinating, planning, specification, design, development, implementation and support of computer application systems and programs using UN established standards for IS technologies, programming languages and tools;
- Acts as the focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of computer application systems development projects, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units to initiate requests; prepares standard terms of reference; processes and follows-up on administrative actions and resolves issues related to project implementation, e.g. organization of and participation in training, procurement of equipment and services, etc.;
- Plans, implements and maintains security controls for various applications; verifies the effectiveness of security controls in place; maintains accurate access control lists including rights and privileges;
- Maintains functional specifications for computer application systems, programs and procedures; performs ongoing reviews with users and developers; liaises with users to define and specify requirements; assists with version management, data recovery and deployment to users’ offices;
- Offers technical support for Data Recovery/Business Continuity software applications and systems;
- Prepares technical and user documentation for deployed computer application systems, training materials and conducts technical presentations; drafts correspondence and communications, including work plan revisions, as well as unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports;
- Stays abreast with the developments in the field; performs bench marking and proposes new acquisitions;
- Provides guidance to new/junior staff;
Server/Data Centre Administration:
- Provides full range of technical assistance and team supervision in the area of server operations and administration; distributes work assignments to members of the team and monitors progress; provides guidance and training to new/junior staff;
- Manages the installation, configuration, testing and deployment of server systems hardware and software, to include Local Area Network infrastructure, Operating Systems (Unix, Linux, Mac OS), Electronic mail, Lotus Notes, Citrix, Database systems, Web Development software, Firewall systems, Network Services Server systems (DNS, DHCP, NFS, CIFS/SMB, mail relay and various security software;
- Oversees the administration, operation, technical support, and monitoring of server systems; undertakes complex trouble shooting of server systems;
- Works closely with other Units within the Service and other logistics support elements of the mission to maintain optimal 24/7 operations for the server systems operations;
- Provides input to identify the need for new systems or re-engineering of the existing systems;
- Responds to requests from user offices and assists in deploying/configuring systems so as to conform to infrastructure standards; implements Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity (DR/BC) and backup services following standard procedures;
- Participates in the security incident response activities; assists in the planning, implementing, operating and maintaining security controls; performs regular vulnerability assessments of production systems to identify weaknesses as well as to determine the need for updating systems with fixes and patches;
- Drafts documentation and reports;
- Analyses, plans, designs and supervise the implementation of network projects in accordance with Mission requirements and applicable UN policies and standards;
- Reviews network configuration ensuring maximum efficiency and optimal usage of resources;
- Participates in the management of network backup and security enforcement policies;
- Assists with and may supervise the work of personnel and/or contractors assigned to the Network Management Unit;
- Ensures the integrity of the various network connections, internal and external, within the mission;
- Assists with the implementation of new and emerging technologies for voice, video and data integration;
- Supports the design, implementation and maintenance of Data Security projects with emphasis in network security, monitoring, resourcing and other UN standard technologies;
- Maintains properly administered access control lists including rights and privileges; participates in the security incident response activities;
- Participates in planning, implementing, operating and maintaining security controls; performs regular vulnerability assessments of production systems to identify weaknesses and determine the need for security updates and fixes;
- Participates in, and may supervise, major network implementations;
- Drafts documentation and reports;
IT Service Support:
- Supervises a team of service coordination staff;
- Streamlines the receipt and logging of service requests in the automated request management system; creates and assigns work orders in accordance with established procedure; distributes work assignments and monitors progress;
- Supervises tasks related to scheduled service requests, including equipment replacement, equipment installation/decomissioning, software installation, LAN connection, return to stock, site surveys, etc;
- Provides basic training to end-users on the use of standard systems and applications;
- Drafts end-user and/or technical documentation;
- Logs all actions in the automated tracking system, including site survey information, steps taken to resolve problem or to complete task, problems encountered, current status, escalation status, etc.;
- Acts as problem escalation point for technical staff at lower levels; escalates problems/tasks to the appropriate parties in accordance with established procedure; monitors problem resolutions; detects problem patterns and recommends solutions;
- Performs quality assurance procedures to ensure client satisfaction;
- Keeps abreast of developments in information systems and technology in order to make recommendations to supervisors;
- Provides training to junior technical staff; occasionally supervises a team of technical staff for special projects;
- Provides technical advice to clients regarding Information and Communications Technology Services (ICTS) standards and workflow processes;
- Acts as the focal point for Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity plan implemented by the mission;
- Assists with the coordination of the implementation and testing of DRBC plans, and supervises teams related to DRBC management;
- Supervises the design, installation, operation and maintenance of a multi-user information security systems including firewalls, malware detection/prevention systems, intrusion detection/prevention, network access controls, proxy servers, VPN, encryption, URL and content filtering systems in accordance with organizational technology security standards;
- Assists other ICTS groups with the determination of security requirements and integration of these requirements in system design and operations;
- Formulates and maintains security procedures, including user identification and access control processes to specific ICTS resources and data;
- Acts upon all security incidents and violations, including reporting them immediately to the ICTS Security Coordinator; participates in incidents management activities;
- Performs regular security assessments of production ICTS resources to identify potential weaknesses that could be exploited; performs risk analysis and formulate risk treatment plans;
- Determines the need for updating ICTS systems with fixes and patches;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Other duties and responsibilities common to the specialties above include, but are not limited to:
- Providing general assistance across the various fields of ICT support services in the mission;
- Being part of cross-functional teams within ICTS in order to assist with ICT related projects;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNMISS Information Systems Assistant job placement should hold a High school diploma or equivalent and certification/diploma of other supplemental academic qualifications or training in Information Systems and Technology are required. Industry training and certifications is desirable.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant work experience in the planning and installation of complex Information Systems, equipment, and networks, including at least three (3) years of experience at the international level are required.
- Field experience in United Nations Peacekeeping missions is desirable.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license is desirable.
- Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required
- Professionalism: Knowledge of information technology and applications, including computer system networks. Good technical skills, ability to conduct network maintenance, provide server services, user support, implement and maintain Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity systems, and information systems security and control. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Respect for Diversity: Works effectively with people from all backgrounds. Shows respect for and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates this understanding in daily work and decision-making.
- Client Orientation: Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets time line for delivery of products or services to clients;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (Application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) as the Information Systems Assistant should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Copy and Paste into Browser : https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=63162
Deadline: 6th August 2016