UN Jobs – National Project Officer (Migration Health) – International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Job Title: National Project Officer (Migration Health)
Organisation: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reference No: SVN/UG/002/2021
Reports to: National Migration Health Promotion Coordinator
Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Job Summary: Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the National Migration Health Promotion Coordinator and close coordination with Regional Migration Health Specialist in Nairobi, the successful candidate will support with the implementation of the clinical tasks of the “Strengthening EU Response to Health and Socio-Economic Impact of COVID-19 in the IGAD Region in Adjumani and Amuru Districts and enhancing IOM’s engagement on migration health including health emergency programming at both national and district level in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate effective implementation and results-based management of the clinical components of the “Strengthening EU Response to Health and Socio-Economic Impact of COVID-19 in the IGAD Region in Adjumani and Amuru Districts.” activities including training activities, development of SoPs, documentation in close collaboration with the district, partners and other UN agencies.
- Liaise with various partners at National and District level on technical requirements of the clinical components of the UNOPS/IGAD project.
- Participate in following project activities that are performed in accordance with the technical requirements of the COVID-19 national pillars including surveillance, case management to expedite activity implementation, and ensure that IOM standards and ethical code of conduct is respected.
- Participate in coordination meetings on behalf of IOM at local and national levels including with the Ministry of Health and WHO on outbreak preparedness and response for COVID-19 in Uganda in coordination with the Supervisor.
- Contribute to the analysis and technical elaboration of data gathered from the health facility including assessments from the relevant facility and project sites.
- In coordination with the supervisor, collaborate with the MoH and relevant units to coordinate the implementation of the psychosocial support in the project sites.
- Liaise with colleagues, including the Integrated Border Management, Public Information officer, Program support Unit and provide support to the promotion of IOM activities in Uganda, including press releases, reporting, website content, and any other related documentation.
- Assists in developing potential health and migration health projects for the mission.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity strengthening to governments and key partners on migration and health promotion. Assist in increasing the capacity of governments to respond effectively to health among migrants through designing, monitoring, and delivering capacity stakeholders’ meeting on migrant health.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should have completed a Master’s degree in Public Health or Epidemiology from accredited academic institutions OR completed University degree in Medicine, Degree in Medicine – MBChB or equivalent from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience;
- Registered with Ugandan Medical Board;
- Specialized courses on epidemiology and applied evidence-based methods are also an advantage.
- A minimum of three years of experience working in Public health;
- Experience working in migration health and mobility, emergency and disease outbreak and related health programmes;
- Proven experience as a trainer and facilitator outbreak preparedness;
- Experience in working with governmental institutions at the National and district level public and civil society sectors and familiar with the national and subnational health care systems;
- Prior experience in project management;
- Previous experience under IOM or UN resettlement, repatriation and other similar programmes within refugee setting will be an asset.
- Knowledge of migration health policies, strategies, and experience in implementing emergency and disease outbreaks.
- Ability to engage national and district level partners;
- Languages: Fluency in English and working knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 22 February 2021. Reference Number and Position Title (SVN/UG/002/2021 – National Project Officer) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
NB: Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Deadline: 22nd February 2021
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda