UN Jobs – Programme Specialist, Leaving No One Behind – United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women)
Job Title: Programme Specialist, Leaving No One Behind
Organization: United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Country Representative
The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women provides support to Member States’ efforts and priorities in meeting their gender equality goals and for building effective partnerships with Government, civil society and other relevant actors.
Job Summary: Reporting to Deputy Country Representative, the Programme Specialist exercises responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing UN Women Country Office programmes and projects advancing LNOB programming principles. The Programme Specialist works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme integration and implementation of LNOB Principles.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide programme development advisory services and develop programmes in the area of gender and intersectional vulnerabilities
- Oversee and manage key actions including the design and formulation of relevant programme proposals and initiatives for the promotion and advancement of rights by women facing intersecting forms of inequality including Women Living with HIV among others in line with LNOB principles;
- Lead country level strategy and briefs to inform policy dialogue on matters related to Leaving No One Behind and more particularly for communities of women facing multiple forms of discrimination such as WLHIV, young people, sex workers, LGBTQ women among others.
- Organize periodic consultations with key stakeholders, women leaders, human rights experts, and UN partners to gather inputs on relevant initiatives and programmes, as necessary.
- Provide advice to the Programme Team on contextualizing of relevant policy, programme and knowledge products;
- Support development and review of LNOB policy frameworks.
- Provide informed policy advisory to UN Women partners based on experience, technical expertise and best practice
- Undertake the implementation and management of CO programmes promoting LNOB principles
- Finalize relevant annual workplans and budget and manage their implementation.
- Provide technical input into relevant CO Programme portfolio & Office Management processes (as assigned), aimed at leaving no one behind;
- Manage the technical implementation of related projects and provide technical advice to ensure synergies with other teams;
- Review related implementing partners’ financial and narrative reports as required;
- Provide guidance to staff and partners on Results Based Management tools and performance indicators in context of LNOB;
- Lead related Project Steering Committees, project reviews and/or evaluation meetings
- Manage the related programme budget and finalize financial reports.
- Manage, mentor and coach relevant staff and conduct performance assessments as necessary;
- Oversee recruitment processes, as necessary
- Oversee technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners
- Provide training to partners; oversee the provision of technical guidance by the programme team
- Build, manage, and expand relationships with and among national partners to support implementation and expansion of the LNOB-targeted programmes from a gender perspective; and respond to any potential problems.
- Serve as an expert resource to partners on LNOB;
- Implement and oversee capacity building opportunities and initiatives;
- Provide partners with advanced technical assistance, resource-gathering opportunities, as well as networking and capacity development initiatives
- Manage monitoring and reporting on LNOB and vulnerability across all relevant programmes and projects
- Manage the process of monitoring progress made on achieving LNOB across programmes and projects, using results-based management tools.
- Work collaboratively with MERP Specialist to finalize quarterly reports and donor reports, focusing on results, output, and outcomes related to LNOB. This will include informing a specific section in the Quarterly Report Template.
- Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies
- Develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies to promote LNOB;
- Finalize relevant documentation on donors and develop potential opportunities for resource mobilization;
- Analyze and research information on donors, finalize substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost sharing in advancing LNOB agenda.
- Provide specific input into UN Women’s Project Documents (ProDocs), in order to highlight UN Women’s effective pursuit of the LNOB objectives
- Work with relevant colleagues to develop internal donor-focused briefs on most effective ways to generate donors’ buy-in, based on the promotion of the LNOB principles
- Manage inter-agency coordination to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners for advancing LNOB agenda in Uganda
- In collaboration with the UN Coordination Team, provide substantive technical support to the Representative and Deputy Representative on UN coordination activities that promote LNOB.
- Attend meetings, events, and participle in relevant groups and committees within and outside of the UN system, as directed by the Deputy Representative.
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure LNOB projects’ capacity development interventions are harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts;
- Take part in country level Common Country Assessment (CCA)/ United Nations sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) processes and similar exercises related to the RC system;
- Prepare substantive inputs to CCA/ UNSDCF processes as necessary.
- Lead advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts advancing the LNOB agenda
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to LNOB;
- Manage LNOB advocacy strategies and their implementation.
- In collaboration with the M&E Team, identify inside and outside UN Women, best practices and lessons learned, that promote LNOB;
- Lead development of knowledge management strategies, methodologies and products on LNOB
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) Programme Specialist, Leaving No One Behind job placement should hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, Public health, gender/women’s studies, international development, or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification (such as PMP®, PRINCE2®, or MSP®) would be an added advantage.
- At least seven years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Technical experience in LNOB programme management and implementation or managing programmes that target women and girls, exposed to discrimination and intersecting vulnerabilities.
- Experience working with women and girls, members of (visible or non-visible) socioeconomically-discriminated minorities is desirable.
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Experience working in the UN System is required;
- Experience in leading/managing a team is an asset.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset; Knowledge of Uganda and the Great Lakes region is an asset
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Excellent theoretical knowledge of, and practical experience with, the United Nations’ LNOB Principle
- Ability to lead formulation of strategies and their implementation
- Strong networking skills
- Ability to negotiate and interact with donors, identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
How to Apply:
All interested applicants must submit their applications at the online link below.
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY COMPANY
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY ROLE