UN Operations Assistant Job Vacancies – Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Organisation: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Operations Specialist
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has a global mandate to improve nutrition, increase agricultural productivity, raise the standard of living in rural populations and contribute to global economic’ growth. Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts – to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
Job Summary: The Operations Assistant will perform a variety of routine administrative and operational tasks in support of office activities. This position is a support function and supports different project activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Verify availability of funds under all projects/programmes (including Field Budget Authorizations – FBAs) and ensure that operational expenditures are in accordance with approved budgets;
- Maintain detailed records of projects/programmes expenditures, commitments and forecasts, and available balance;
- Retrieve, enter, select and analyse data from a wide variety of sources, including FAO’s corporate systems and databases (FPMIS, COIN, GRMS, etc.);
- Assist in the financial management of ongoing projects and in the operational/administrative follow-up of project management actions flagged in FAO’s Field Programme Management Information System (FPMIS);
- Take corrective measures to overcome operational constraints, including reconciliation of expenditures, balances, payments and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports;
- Assist in ensuring that timely action is taken by the programme/project teams in all areas of programme/project implementation, including, but not limited to, procurement, human resources, financial and narrative reporting, project opening and closure.
- Assist in advising the programme/project teams on the most efficient and effective methods of project/programme delivery, particularly regarding specific actions and/or project activities.
- Carry out project opening, budget revisions, project closures and other project-related actions in FPMIS, ensuring that FAO’s Project Cycle Management guidelines are applied in all phases of project management;
- Assist in the preparation of project financial reporting, whenever required;
- Participate in the consolidation of budget proposals;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Operations Assistant job opportunity should hold a University degree in public administration, business administration, economics or a closely related field.
- At least two years of relevant experience
- Working knowledge of English
- National of Uganda
- Excellent knowledge of EXCEL©.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural team, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of UN rules and procedures is desirable
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
NB: FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan nationals should submit their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 23rd January 2020