UN Project Engineer Job Careers – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
Vacancy Notice Number: Ro/001/19
Position Number: Ro/001/01/19
Position Grade: NO-A
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Project Engineer will oversee the day to-day operations of the construction project(s) assigned to, to ensure that the Works are implemented and completed to the quality desired (as per specifications and designs), within time and project(s) budget
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare site surveys and soil tests conducted directly by UNHCR and/or supervises site surveys and soil tests conducted by partners/other stakeholders;
- Prepares necessary detailed designs, drawings, calculations etc. for all construction/rehabilitation projects, based on the Project Physical Site Planner’s spatial design and layout (where applicable).;
- Prepare and/or review cost estimates for construction/rehabilitation projects including detailed Bills of Quantities;
- Prepares all necessary tender documents and/or verifies and clears such documents prepared by partners stakeholders;
- Carry out post-contract administration duties including assessing quantities, estimating cost for documentation of interim and final payment certification and controlling costs to include projects are completed within budget;
- Assess existing building conditions, briefing partners stakeholders in the plans and designs to ensure that the right materials and equipment used are in line with UNHCR /Government acceptable standards;
- Day to day supervision of all construction/rehabilitation projects;
- Ensure quality and quantity control, quantity control, variation/change order, and conducts meetings in order to ensure the project delivery meets quality standards and timeframe required by UNHCR;
- Monitor the work and financial progresses for projects;
- Work in close coordination with all functional Units in UNHCR (Protection, Programme, Community Services Administration, Supply, etc.) for all issues related to protection, population of concern figures and assistance;
- Actively contributes to the preparation of the specific projects budget and monitors the financial performance of a given area of activity versus set budget to ensure alignment;
- Complies with all relevant stakeholders safety, quality, health and environmental procedures to ensure healthy and safe work environment;
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Project Engineer job placement should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering;
- Five years’ experience in supervising construction projects in Uganda;
- Knowledge of Project management tools and processes;
- Excellent command of English Language (Written and Spoken);
- Strong report writing skills;
- Good knowledge of basic computer software, including AutoCAD and GPS data collection as engineering design tools..
- Experience in the management of construction sites
- Experience in all disciplines of civil engineering;
- Good knowledge of ArcGIS
- Familiarity with National Construction standards;
- Skills on project formulation, planning, supervision and management.
- Proficiency in additional UN languages would be an asset.
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Strategic Planning and Vision
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Technological Awareness
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Planning and Organizing
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 13th June 2019