Job Title: Registration Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10018198
Reports to: Associate Field Officer
Vacancy Notice: 017/2016
Duty Station: Kyangwali, Uganda
Post Grade: GL4
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Registration Assistant will be responsible for supporting all activities related to registration, which may also include functions related to reception, filing and data management. The jobholder responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements. The Registration Assistant works closely with protection staff and partners to ensure timely identification and referral of persons of concern for protection follow up. He/She may provide interpretation and/or translation services in cases for which he/she has the required language competencies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Carry out registration interviews in accordance with local SOPs and registration standards.
· Regularly respond to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements.
· Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all individual registration cases.
· Identify persons with specific needs and ensure timely referral to protection follow-up as required.
· The jobholder will collaborate with protection staff and/or partners in the delivery of assistance and programming, including provision of identity and entitlement documentation
· Act as interpreter and translator when needed.
· Refer cases to other units within the office and to implementing partners as necessary.
· Carry out any other related duties, as required by the Associate Field Officer.
Key Performance Indicators:
· UNHCR’s Registration Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are implemented in accordance with relevant UNHCR standards and policies.
· Persons of concern have fair and transparent access to registration procedures.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Registration Assistant career opportunity should have completed secondary education preferably with post-secondary training or certificate in social science, statistics, mathematics, information technology or related fields.
· At least five years of relevant job experience (three years with post-secondary certificate/training).
· Good computer skills.
· Excellent knowledge of English and local language.
· Training in basic principles of international protection.
· Previous experience in working with UNHCR proGres software.
· Knowledge of another relevant UN language.
How to Apply:
All interested female candidates who meet the above criteria should submit their applications, under confidential cover, quoting the Post No addressed to: The Senior Administrative/Finance Officer, UNHCR Representation in Uganda via E-mail quoting the vacancy notice and position number to: [email protected].
Deadline: 25th August, 2016