UN Senior Liaison Associate Job Vacancies – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Vacancy Notice Number: 011/2019
Position Number: 10030518
Position Grade: GS-5
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Liaison Associate will provide regular guidance and define operational objectives including, in particular, those in relation to liaison with the Government and related strategic communications; and by the Head of External Relations with regards to advocacy partnerships, discussions in public fora, PI and local media matters. The incumbent will work within the Executive Office of the Representative, under the direct supervision of the Senior Adviser (External Relations & Strategic Partnership). Guidance on specific areas / for supporting specific events may also be given by the various specialised units in the Office including External Relations, the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) and Solutions Team, and Protection.
The incumbent coordinates internally the information-gathering with several teams / units in the Office. He/she shall collaborate and coordinate the work with colleagues in the Executive Office and those dealing with Public Information, External Relations, Protection, Operations, CRRF as well as those based in Field locations.
The incumbent has external contacts with, Liaison Officers and communications focal points in Government ministries and UN Agencies to gather and share information on developments relevant to UNHCR, organise joint events and inform appropriate messaging. Contacts will be predominantly with counterparts at working level in the Government and in the UNCT, as well as national media. The incumbent should exercise diplomacy when dealing with external contacts. Good information-sharing internally expected, while respecting appropriate levels of confidentiality. Errors can lead to inappropriate messaging, sub-standard organisation of meetings and events with Government, lack of timely attention by UNHCR to important developments, damage to Government relations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Representative to give, obtain and exchange information with officials from the National Government as well as national media organizations on matters of importance to the organization.
- Analyse news and political activities and their implication to the refugee operation in Uganda; produce weekly reports. Report on local developments which may have a political or operational impact on UNHCR activities in Uganda, to the Representative and to the Head of External Relations.
- Follow discussions in various public fora and advise the Office on necessary developments and actions. Assist the Office to identify gaps in understanding UNHCR’s work, as well as appropriate topics and communications approaches to address the said gaps.
- Liaise with Government / UNCT on conference participation and organisation; lead on logistics and administration of such events.
- Draft letters, memos, meeting reports, note verbales, speeches, etc. as may be required by the Representative
- Provide inputs for operational and other updates.
- Support the Communications/ External Relations Team with UNHCR’s national media relations and with the work of the UN’s Communications Group; give media interviews in Luganda as follow up to the Representative’s press briefings and following same lines; assist with drafting messages, press releases and reports.
- Support the Office to establish contacts with local organizations and media institutions to promote general interest and understanding of refugee issues.
- Translate media interviews into Luganda language.
Key Performance Indicators:
- UNHCR is able to establish close working relations with officials in Ministries and local authorities.
- UNHCR’s position is represented to the Government and to the media.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Senior Liaison Associate job placement should have completed Secondary education with courses/ training/ certificate in Business Administration, Social Science, International Law or related field.
- A minimum of eleven years of relevant work experience.
- Computer skills (in MS office).
- Fluency in English and Luganda.
- DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of UNHCR programmes and activities.
- Working knowledge any other local language.
- Good writing and documentation skills.
- Good inter-personal and communication skills.
- Ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Political Awareness
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 13th June 2019