UN Senior Protection Assistant Job Opportunities – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Job Title: Senior Protection Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: IC-PROTECTION ASSISTANT
Vacancy Notice: 006/2018
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Protection Assistant takes decisions on complex registration cases as per the standard operating procedures and under the supervision of the Protection Officer. The incumbent also works to identify and refer persons with specific needs to relevant services and works with partners to ensure these cases receive necessary services. The incumbent monitors standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery during the registration exercise, in line with international standards and provides functional protection support to registration staff. The Senior Protection Assistant provides quality, timely and effective protection support to persons of concern and identifies opportunities to improve protection safeguards in the registration process. He/she contributes to implementing a comprehensive protection strategy and may liaise externally with local authorities and partners on protection issues as guided by the supervisor
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Provide counselling on protection issues to persons of concern.
- Ensure that all decisions taken during the registration exercises are taken with respect to Age, Gender and Diversity principles.
- Conduct preliminary information gathering and interviews in support of UNHCR case management processes.
- Actively contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy and registration process.
- Keenly monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/registration activities.
- Participate in individual protection case management including cases of SGBV and child protection. Monitor and report on cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit / section of the registration team
Key Performance Indicators:
- Individuals with specific needs are identified, counselled and referred to appropriate services during the registration process.
- The protection of populations of concern is met through the application of International and National Law relevant UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC principles.
- Protection activities are guided by the UNHCR country protection strategy.
- The participation of persons of concern is facilitated through supporting participatory, rights and community based approaches
- Registration decisions are taken on issues of family composition, documentation and other protection-sensitive questions.
- Select persons of concern for preliminary interviews and decide which relevant information to share.
- Enforce integrity in the delivery of protection services by local implementing partners.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Senior Protection Assistant job opportunity should have completed secondary school.
- Additional Training courses in protection related issues.
- At least four years of related work experience
- Previous supervisory/management experience.
- Knowledge of any of the languages spoken by the refugee communities.
- Good computer skills.
- Fluency in English and local language
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 20th February 2018
University News Updates for 2019 - 2020