Victoria University Uganda Jobs Advert Lecturers 2016
Victoria University is a state-of-the- art world class university located in the heart of Kampala; we are a cosmopolitan university with a multi-cultural student population and are licensed and accredited by the National Council for Higher Education (NCHE), offering the best practical and high quality education in the regional markets.
Victoria University stands out as a pivot of academic excellence, with a fresh and intellectually thriving environment that nurtures critical and progressive thinkers. Our programmes include: – Foundation Program; Certificate & Short Courses, Diploma Courses; Under Graduate Programs, Executive & Professional Programs such as IP3 Accredited Certifications.
Victoria University is introducing the School of Law and seeks to recruit candidates to fill the following positions:-
Positions: University Lecturer
Job Title: Lecturers- School of Law
Reports to: Dean- School of Law
Duty Station: Victoria University, Kampala
Job Description Summary:
A University Lecturer prepares and conducts tutorials in one or more subjects within a prescribed course of study at the University and conducts research in a particular field of knowledge
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- To teach at undergraduate and graduate level in areas allocated by the Head of Department and reviewed from time to time by the Head of Department.
- To carry out research and produce publications, or other research outputs, in line with personal objectives agreed in the Staff review process.
- To obtain research funding support.
- To engage with the broader scholarly and professional communities.
- To supervise or assist with supervision of undergraduate, taught graduate (Masters) or research graduate (MPhil/PhD) students.
- To contribute to the development, planning and implementation of a high quality curriculum.
- To assist in the development of learning materials, preparing schemes of work and maintaining records to monitor student progress, achievement and attendance.
- To participate in departmental and faculty seminars aimed at sharing research outcomes and building interdisciplinary collaboration within and outside the department.
- To participate in the development, administration and marking of exams and other assessments.
- To provide pastoral care and support to students.
- To participate in the administration of the department’s programmes of study and other activities as requested.
- To contribute to departmental, faculty, or University working groups or committees as requested.
- To maintain own continuing professional development.
- To actively follow and promote Victoria University policies.
- Any other duties professionally assigned by the Management of the University from time to time.
- A minimum of a master’s degree in law, a Doctorate degree in law or a related field will be an added advantage.
- Must be an advocate of the High Court of Uganda-
- Experience in Lecturing in a comprehensive University setting;
- Knowledge of effective instructional and learning assessment methods
- Outstanding public speaking ability
- Experience in acquiring external funding will be an added advantage
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Strong knowledge of the Ugandan Law combined with a broad Law background enabling contributions to teaching programmes
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Proven record of ability to conduct high quality research which is reflected in the authorship of high quality publications, or other research outputs, in the area of Law.
- Proven record of ability to manage time and work to strict deadlines.
- Evidence of ability to teach and to supervise academic work by undergraduates, masters and doctoral students
- Commitment to high quality teaching and fostering a positive learning environment for students
- Commitment to continuous professional development
- Knowledge of existing technology
- Team leader and team player
How to Apply
Victoria University is an equal opportunity employer, and the position provides an attractive remuneration package. If you are interested, please hand deliver a cover letter, an updated copy of your resume with contacts of three referees and copies of your academic documents by 14th May 2016, 2:00pm to
The Vice Chancellor
Plot 1-13, Victoria Towers
Jinja Road, Kampala
OR send a soft copy to