World Bank Job Opportunities – Senior Energy Specialist
Job Title: Senior Energy Specialist
Organization: World Bank Group (WBG)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
About World Bank:
The World Bank is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world. The World Bank provides low-interest loans, zero to low-interest credits, and grants to developing countries. These support a wide array of investments in such areas as education, health, public administration, infrastructure, financial and private sector development, agriculture, and environmental and natural resource management. Some of our projects are co-financed with governments, other multilateral institutions, commercial banks, export credit agencies, and private sector investors.
Job Summary: The East Africa unit (IAFE1) seeks a Senior Energy Specialist to work with Government and other donors while leading/coordinating World Bank’s Energy program in Uganda. The work entails strategic, advisory, and operational work in the electricity sector. The main responsibility will be to lead a complex ongoing sector dialogue and a portfolio of investment lending operations, as well as analytical work in Uganda. The responsibilities will also include supervision of Southern Africa Power Pool transmission interconnection projects that are linked to Uganda. The World Bank is engaged in multiple projects, technical assistance and analytical work in the energy sector in Uganda. These include projects focused on accelerating energy access for households, commercial enterprises, industrial parks, and public institutions using both grid and off-grid electrification; transmission and distribution network strengthening and expansion; promoting initiative for clean cooking solutions, and technical assistance on energy policy, regulatory and institutional framework, and design and delivery of a national electrification strategy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Co-Lead the preparation and supervision of investment operations in Uganda – including energy access (both grid and off-grid) and transmission and distribution network strengthening and expansion, including regional integration projects;
- Lead analytical and advisory work in the energy sector and related nexus areas, for example, macro-fiscal stabilization in Uganda;
- Contribute to the Maximizing Finance for Development (MFD) approach. The Africa Energy team is a key contributor to the WBG strategy for MFD with the objective to help countries maximize their development resources by drawing on a range of financing sources and sustainable private sector solutions. You will work with IFC and MIGA for the ongoing and new WBG collaboration on existing and potential PPP opportunities in Uganda. You will actively seek opportunities to apply MFD principles in our work program and build a strong internal WBG partnership with IFC and MIGA as well as networks with private sector partners that can contribute to the achievement of our development objectives;
- Contribute to the climate agenda. The Africa Energy team is supportive of the climate agenda, both from mitigation and adaptation side, and to mainstream climate friendly approaches in the design and implementation of projects
- Play an active role in the Bank’s policy dialogue with the authorities, development partners, and others on strategic energy issues. Strengthen the existing Energy Donor Working Group for coordinating all investments in the energy sector as well as sector dialogue with donors and the Government of Uganda. You will be encouraged to forge positive relationships with organizations and individuals which can better inform the energy strategies and result in higher quality implementation and impact of Bank-supported programs. This will require effective communication and outreach to key partners including client governments, academia, civil society organizations, media, other development partners and other Bank Group units;
- Lead teams and provide guidance and mentoring to junior staff on operational, policy dialogue and analytical activities;
- Develop and maintain close relationships with Country Management Unit; actively contribute to the dissemination of our activities, within the WBG and in external events. Provide inputs to operational products/outputs for sector and country briefings, analytical and advisory reports and studies, portfolio performance and monitoring reviews, and liaison between the energy and extractives practice and the country unit on energy issues.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the World Bank Group Senior Energy Specialist job opportunity should hold a Master’s degree in engineering, energy planning/economics, business administration, or equivalent areas relevant for energy/extractives sector development;
- A minimum of eight years of combined experience in the World Bank, other international institutions and/or companies, government agencies, and/or power sector utilities with consistent record of successful engagement with complex projects;
- Understanding of energy/extractives policies, regulations, technologies or strategies, private sector participation, and institutional development needed to support development and for the success of project and analytic work; experience leading and/or playing key roles in policy dialogue with clients and partners;
- Strong experience in planning, designing, and implementing power infrastructure projects including renewable energy generation, transmission and distribution, and on-grid and off-grid electrification and access projects; Hands-on experience with infrastructure projects with power sector utilities will be a distinct advantage;
- Strong knowledge of at least one of relevant thematic business lines such as Energy Access; Economics, Markets & Institution; Oil & Gas; Mining; Energy Efficiency; Renewable Energy; Energy Finance; Hydropower; Power Systems & Technologies;
- A consistent track record in carrying out high quality and timely analytical reports and activities would be advantageous;
- Experience working on World Bank or other International Financial Institutions (IFIs) lending and non-lending operations is desirable;
- Active listening skills, excellent interpersonal skills, able to influence the audience and build positive relationships with clients, different partners and colleagues across units and departmental boundaries in a multi-cultural environment with disperse teams located in different countries;
- Experience working with large global teams, producing high-quality results and outputs with minimal supervision; proven record of teamwork and ability to lead and mentor junior staff, to advise and guide senior staff in your core skills, to produce high-quality policy and project related written outputs;
- High level of excitement, ability to work independently, taking initiative, and flexibility in quickly adjusting to changing work program requirements;
- Experience in fragile countries is desirable;
- Experience of working in regional projects involving power pools is desirable;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, including an ability to communicate complex issues in simple terms and to engage in evidence-based dialogue with clients;
- Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena – Translate technical and cross-country knowledge into practical applications and contributions to country and sector strategies; interacts with clients at the policy level;
- Policy Dialogue Skills – Anticipate needs and requests in the field and conduct independent policy discussions with representatives of the government and non-government partners;
- Integrative Skills – Understand relevant cross-sectoral areas how they are interrelated; able to undertake cross-sectoral work in lending and non-lending operations;
- Energy Sector Technologies – Deep experience applying knowledge (hydrocarbon, power generation, transmission and distribution, renewables, and energy efficiency) to policy-related decisions and advice;
- Energy Policy, Strategy and Institutions – Proven understanding of energy policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
WBG Core Competencies
- Lead and Innovate – Develop innovative solutions with others.
- Deliver Results for Clients – Achieve results and identify mission-driven solutions for clients
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Initiate collaboration across boundaries and broadly across WBG, and bring differing ideas into the forefront;
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Create, apply and share knowledge from across and outside the WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions
- Make Smart Decisions – Recommend and take decisive action
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the World Bank in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to send their applications Online by reviewing details at the web link below and clicking Apply Now on getting a broader insight of vacancy.
Deadline: 23rd February 2021
Missed This Job? or Interested in more?. See List of Current Job Vacancies / Opportunities in Uganda
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY COMPANY
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY ROLE