Youth and Engagement Advisor Volunteer Opportunities – VSO
Duty Station: Uganda
Type of role Advocacy policy and research
VSO is the world’s leading international development charity that works through volunteers to create a fair world for everyone. At VSO we pride ourselves on doing development differently. We fight poverty not by sending aid, but by working through volunteers and partners to create long-lasting change in some of the world’s poorest regions. We bring key stakeholders together to co-ordinate collective action, from local organisations to national governments. Our programmes in Africa and Asia focus on health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience, peace building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change that will improve the lives of generations to come.
Job Summary: In this role, you will provide on-site support in the project location and/or VSO office, (full-time unless otherwise specified) for a set period of time.
The volunteer will support in project implementation with an aim to enhancing meaningful youth engagement for improved accountability, advocacy and influence
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical advice to the project on meaningful youth engagement and participation to effectively advocate for inclusive SRHR services & policies.
- Develop and implement a capacity development plan for youths and adolescents targeted within the scope of the project.
- Provide mentoring and coaching support on youth networks & council formation/strengthening to enhance youth leadership and participation within the SRHR agenda.
- Strengthen the capacity of relevant stakeholders and identified CSOs to implement MYP approaches, tools and strategies.
- Apply youth-led advocacy and policy engagement approaches to improve accountability, inclusiveness & enhance youth-led advocacy for effective SRHR.
- Promote the participation and meaningful engagement of vulnerable youth in the design, development and review of policies.
- work closely with other programme consortium members to promote what works, to capture learning and best practices around meaningful youth engagement.
- Closely work with the respective line ministries, and other government and non-government structures, and undertake operational research programs on marginalized youth and their access towards quality SRHR services.
- Monitor, track and report progress against Youth engagement and participation as assigned by programme team.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in development, social Sciences, health, Human Rights or related field required field. Relevant Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience with sectoral youth development strategies & policies, particularly around Adolescents & Youth Sexual Reproductive Health & Rights.
- Experience implementing youth engagement capacity building approaches, and youth focused trainings.
- Strong understanding of youth network formation, different youth platforms at regional/global levels focused on SRHR agenda.
- Strong understanding of Social Accountability, policy engagement & advocacy approaches.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring youth, youth-led CSOs, on meaningful youth engagement & participation.
- Willingness to work in a difficult environment where basic amenities (electricity, internet etc.) is a challenge.
- Experience in working with people from diverse backgrounds & vulnerabilities
- Good communication and report writing skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to maintain good working relationships
- Curiosity and desire to learn and share knowledge.
- Fluency in written and verbal English
- Persons with their own lived experience of marginalization and discrimination in SRHR due to their multiple identities are encouraged to apply.
- Ability to be open minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Ability to seek and share knowledge
How to Apply:
All interested and suitably qualified applicants should apply online at the link below
Deadline: 10th September 2021
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY COMPANY
FIND JOBS IN UGANDA BY ROLE