Director General Employment Opportunity – Uganda Investment Authority (UIA)
Organization: Uganda Investment Authority (UIA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Board of Directors
Uganda Investment Authority (UIA) was established by the Investment Code Act, 1991, to be the primary agency of Government for the purpose of promoting, attracting and facilitating investment in Uganda, advising Government on investment policy and advocating for a competitive business environment. UIA is, therefore, the primary Investment Promotion Agency (IPA) for Uganda, which status was maintained in the Investment Code Act, 2019.
As a statutory body under the Ministry of Finance, Planning & Economic Development (MFPED), the UIA works with the government and the private sector to promote the economic growth of Uganda through supporting job creation and investment by local and foreign companies.
Job Summary: The Director General (DG) serves as chief Executive of Uganda Investment Authority and, in partnership with the Board, is responsible for the successful attainment of the Vision, Mission and Objectives of the Authority, and the accountability of the Authority to its stakeholders. The Board delegates responsibility for management and day-to-day operations to the DG who has the authority to carry out these responsibilities, in accordance with the policies formulated by the Board. The DG supports the Board as it carries out its governance functions and is responsible for day to day implementation of the Board decisions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring timely development of the Authority’s strategic plans, annual budgets, work plans and procurement plans for approval by the Board.
- Ensuring that UIA’s budgets, work plans and procurement plans are aligned to the national development agenda and investment policy
- Ensuring effective implementation of the approved budget.
- Ensuring timely submission of the performance reports both narrative and financial to the relevant stakeholders in line with guidance provided by the board
- Ensuring due compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Representing the Authority and serving as its Chief spokesperson.
- Networking, advocating and building institutional linkages and partnerships that promote and protect the interests of the Authority.
- Ensuring that professional relationship between the Authority and its stakeholders including the general public is upheld.
- Overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Authority with a view to maximizing the contribution and value of the Authority. Providing technical advice to the board on how to create value for the development of the Authority and delivery of on its mandate
Human Resource Management & Leadership
- Provide direction in establishing a sound Human Resources Strategy that builds and assures a work environment that recruits, retains and supports quality and motivated performance work teams.
- Provide leadership, promoting and fostering a high team performance culture in the Organisation
- Overall supervision and control of the staff of the Authority
- Directing, supervising, developing, mentoring and appraising staff
- Oversee the fiscal activities of the Authority including planning, budgeting, execution and reporting.
- Spearhead the mobilization of the resources for the organisation’s programs and ensure effective utilization of the same
- Advises the Board on how to raise finance from applicable sources to support short- and long-term goals of the Authority.
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting institutional performance to the Board in a timely manner.
- Informing the Board and its Committees about relevant trends, issues, problems and activities in order to facilitate policy-making.
- Attending Board meetings and ensure day to day implementation of the Board decisions
- Executing any other lawful directives as may be issued, from time to time, by the Board.
- Policies to guide UIA operations formulated and approved by the Board
- UIA Strategic Plan, budgets, annual work plans and procurement plans formulated and approved
- Approved Budgets, Work plans and procurement plans effectively implemented
- Resources mobilised for the effective implementation of Authority activities and programs
- Appropriate management and operating systems in place
- UIA Board effectively supported to carry out its governance functions
- Comprehensive and timely performance reports submitted and approved by the Board for sharing with stakeholders
- Productive institutional partnerships established and maintained with key stakeholders
- Productive, motivated, effective and efficient human resources in the organisation.
- Strategic partnerships with major stakeholders developed and maintained in line with the Investment Code Act 2019.
- UIA’s compliance with all statutory requirements.
- Good corporate image of the organisation
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Master’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Management Science, Business Administration or Management, Business Science or Economics, Public Administration, Agribusiness, Agricultural economics, Industrial/Engineering Economics or Management, International Development.
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, Development Studies, Social Sciences, Agribusiness, Engineering Sciences, Law
- Preferably a Member of a Professional body in the respective field
- At least ten years of experience at increasingly senior leadership level including tangible experience in or working with governments, multi-lateral, institutions with proven experience in developing countries, five (5) years of which, at a management level.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and structuring private sector and Public-Private Partnership competitiveness projects
- A track record in delivering complex institution-wide initiatives involving public and private sector partners.
- Evidence of successful track record in investment decision making and closing deals involving significant amounts of money
- Demonstrated ability to lead relevant, meaningful dialogue with proven experience in providing high quality strategic and policy advice at management levels to national governments or private sector entities
- Evidence of ability to build and lead motivated and committed teams across functional boundaries, and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way.
- Ability to present and win support for ideas; a good listener; and cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Broad knowledge of the global and Ugandan business and investment environment
- Experience with resource mobilization, utilization and accountability
- Experience with Board matters
- Proven integrity and wise judgment
How to Apply:
Applications with comprehensive typed CVs, copies of transcripts and certificates together with the applicant’s telephone contact, names, addresses and telephone numbers of three referees should be sent to;
The Acting Director General,
Uganda Investment Authority,
P.O. Box 7418, Kampala.
- UIA accepts no liability for incomplete submission, late or misdirected transmission of applications.
- All academic qualifications will be subjected to verification by the issuing Institution.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for interviews.
- Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Deadline: 8th July 2019