Pharmacist Jobs – Sawa HealthCare Group (SHCG) – Old Kampala Hospital
Job Title: Pharmacist
Organisation: Sawa HealthCare Group (SHCG)
Duty Station: Old Kampala Hospital, Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Directors
Sawa HealthCare Group exists to provide affordable, accessible and quality healthcare services in the communities we serve and to do so in a sustainable manner with the highest level of integrity.
Job Summary: The Pharmacist is responsible for dispensing and compounding medication, counseling patients on medication and health subjects; interpreting prescriptions, managing patient drug therapy for complications, and performing drug utilization. He/she collaborates with physicians, nurses, and other healthcare practitioners to provide safe, high quality, and cost-effective drug treatment. Additionally, the Pharmacist manages all aspects of medication ordering and inventory.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring medicinal products are stored appropriately and securely to ensure freshness and potency and proper dispensing.
- Ensuring medication reaches the patient in the correct form and dose – this may include tablets, capsules, ointments, injections, inhalers and creams.
- Being responsible for the accurate dispensing and timely distribution of drugs and medicines for outpatients.
- Supervising and checking the work of pharmacy technicians and assistants.
- Responding to medication-related queries from within the facility and the general public.
- Keeping up to date with, and contributing to, research and development, often in collaboration with medical staff and colleagues in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Writing guidelines for drug use within the facility, preparing bulletins and implementing facility regulations.
- Providing information to individual wards on budgets and expenditure on drugs.
- Working closely with physicians, nurses and other fellow health care professionals to ensure the delivery of safe, effective and economic drug treatment.
- Counseling patients on the effects, dosage and route of administration of their drug treatments, particularly those who require complex drug therapy.
- Monitoring every stage of medication treatment to improve all aspects of delivery and reporting patient side effects.
- Communicating effectively with patients and their relatives, physicians, nurses, pharmacy technicians, other healthcare practitioners, directors and other hospital administration staff, etc.
- Preparing and quality-checking sterile medications under special conditions (e.g. Intravenous medications for those unable to take food, anti-cancer medications, eye drops, etc.).
- Assisting with sourcing and procuring medications and ordering procedures to ensure adequate inventory and options for the conditions treated at the hospital.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a BS, MS, or Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an accredited institution and a current pharmacist license
- Three to five years of previous facility pharmacy experience, preferably in a hospital setting.
- Completion of a Pharmacy Practice residency or equivalent facility experience.
- Possesses outstanding leadership, communication, listening and interpersonal skills, necessary to quickly establish credibility and rapport with a broad set of constituencies and motivate others;
- Ability to act as an effective agent for change, recognizes the need for change and adapts and inspires others to adapt;
- Ability to address both broad and strategic issues and the management of day-to-day operations;
- Ability to innovate, encourage creative thinking and imaginative solutions to issues or problems;
- Ability to serve as an effective champion for quality and continuous performance improvement using passion and persuasive skills;
- Thorough understanding of all elements of healthcare delivery;
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills;
- Proficient computer skills including spread sheets, data bases, statistics, software knowledge and installation, and accounting practices for budgetary responsibilities;
- Broad based knowledge of office support and computer systems and exhibit the following characteristics: a strong customer focus; foster mutual respect; strong commitment to organization mission, vision and values; promote teamwork; perform independently; maintain confidentiality; adhere to high standards of personal conduct; and maintain and enhance professional/job competency;
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulatory requirements and best practices in clinical care; and
- Excellent decision-making and judging capabilities.
How to Apply:
All candidates who are suitably qualified are advised to send their application and curriculum vitae to email@example.com
Deadline: 30th December 2018